Carp facing extinction

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does concern me is that the environmental lobby in this country is hardly pro carp as it is. A number of Broads Authority publications make it clear that carp are seen as less than friendly towards the aquatic environment. And since the Broads Authority is part of the National Parks set-up, what goes on here could influence other national parks.

I wonder why the Australians don't use their carp as a major tourist attraction. Smacks of the Irish and their attitude to pike.

I have heard that Australian carp are exported to Europe. Hope this trade stops if these genetically modified carp come about.

[ 01. January 2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Bill Dingley:

Remember that the scientific horror of myxamotosis came from Australia.

Negative on that, but that's another story.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

i to hope that those fish stay in australia.

but i don`t see how it will solve there problem,as with the lifespan of carp,the number that would be produced before the females died then the males lifespan surely they could still wipeout native fish?

later guys i`m going fishing

I can understand the "Australian point of view" regarding the carp.

Unlike us, they appear to have a good range of large, (edible) freshwater fish, to catch.

The carp is not needed, or wanted.

I don,t wish any ill on the UK carp population.

However,I am disappointed at the number of small trout fisheries, that have become day ticket carp waters.

Also, the stocking policy of the Angling Clubs I belong to, seem to be geared toward carp, to the exclusion of other species.

The "anti-carp" movement in the UK may be small at the moment.

But................

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Outside of angling circles the anti carp movement, as Cranfield calls it, may not be that small. I say that because I have been dealing with a number of university educated environmentalist types recently, people employed both by the EA and the Broads Authority, clearly carp are not universally popular.

The reason that some previous trout waters have become carp waters is down to one thing, money. I'm guessing that Cranfield, and others, are not happy at this, hence the suggestion of an anti carp movement.

I'm not sure, in angling terms, that there will ever be an anti-carp movement. There is already, I'm sure, a carp resentment factor. The carp industry, and carp angling attitudes have foisted themselves onto angling, in the widest sense, in no small way.

Trout lakes becoming carp lakes for example. Personally I'm not happy at the influx of carp attitudes into piking for example.

This is interesting

I know a fair bit about Australian freshwater fishing and Carp are definitely a problem in some areas especially on the Murray river where native fish stocks are being forced out by carp.

Australia has had a number of pests imported including foxes,cats,rabbits,pigs,goats,cane toads etc.

Tilapia are also a pest fish in many areas.

All these things are OK in their own places but can cause havoc in different environments.

As for Myxamatosis coming from Australia it was rabbits imported from England which caused the problems for which it was created (man made) in the first place.

As for tourist potential if I were going to travel all that way to fish there are a lot more desirable native species to fish for.I can catch Carp here!

Tight lines

DF

carp angling has done a lot of good for angling in the uk and abroad, a lot of people fish for carp who've never thought of fishing before, and all that overpriced tackle generates a lot of revenue. it is however a shame that its getting more and more difficult to find a fishery that isnt full of carp. i find myself on the river more and more often these days.