float fishing for tench

rmh

i am hoping to go to ladygorve lakes at the week end which has a good stock of tench. i am probably going to use my 13 foot float rod with a waggler float. what breaking strain should i use for main line and hook lenght and what shotting patterns should i use. also what are the best baits for tench. i was thinking corn. any other tips appriciated

thanks ryan

For mainline id go for 5lbs-7lbs, you could go lighter/heavier depending on where your fishing. Lift bite rigs work well for tench, thier discribed in another thread. if not put the bulk of your shot around your float with one or two smaller ones to take the bait down to the bottom quickly as tench are a bottom feeding fish. Ive had more tench on red maggots than any other bait but bread and sweetcorn have always done well to and id guess more people would say sweetcorn. Im a little rusty as i havnt propperly fished in a few years so forgive me if any of that is wrong, im sure there are much more experienced people here that can tell you better :P

I like to use a drennan tench perfection float (picture here http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/ProductDetai...2-f6e944ce1dfb)

Fished 3/4 inches overdepth, with most of the shot around the float, and just a number 1 shot about 2/3 inches from the hook.

The narrow thin stem of the float shows lift bites really well with just a small shot on the bottom :)

Mat

Mat

Expo groundbait is frequently recommended mixed with brown crumb as its quite a sticky bait then add some mashed up sweetcorn.

Sweetcorn or red maggot have worked well for me in the past.

Tony

Expo groundbait is frequently recommended mixed with brown crumb as its quite a sticky bait then add some mashed up sweetcorn.

Sweetcorn or red maggot have worked well for me in the past.

I agree with Expo groundbait I allways use it when I am after Tench, mixed with brown crumb. If you don't have any groundbait use hemp and halibut pellet as lose feed Tench love that stuff. As for bait red maggot, caster, worms and one of my new favourite baits for tench are those hali hooker pellets, I had loads of Tench on them last year.