Laos, you can keep her!

ColinW

News on the BBC that Samantha Orobator, a Nigerian born and now somehow apparantly British woman, has been convicted of trying to smuggle over a kilogram of heroin in Laos and given life imprisonment. Joy of joys, the UK has an arrangement so she can be shipped back here and serve her sentence in a British prison.

The only reason the Laos authorities are not shooting her, the crime carries a mandatory death penalty, is because she somehow managed to get herself pregnant while in a women's prison awaiting trial and Laos won't execute a pregnant woman.

So now we face the prospect of not only paying for her life imprisonment, but also supporting her illegitimate child for the rest of its life.

You could not make this up!

Laos, let her have the baby, then shoot her and give the kid to its father!

As usual there is a bit more to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...ad-in-Laos.html

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Therte are many confusing reports on this case all over the Internet.

Some claim she was born in England, others that she was born in Nigeria.

One theory is that her pregnancy is due to being raped in prison, the other theory is that she voluntarily became pregnant to avoid the mandatory death sentence for drug smuggling in Laos.

Whatever the truth is its a sorry tale.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

i heard she impregnated herself :o and remember our life imprisonment is about 3 weeks for drug smuggling twice that if you kill someone :rolleyes:

we dont need her just like we dont need that ex Guantánamo Bay bloke that never was here and was arrested in pakistan but he's here selling his story no doubt set up for life by our gov ,the very same gov who tried to stop ghurkas doing the same that actually did some good for the country :rolleyes:

perhaps if a few ghurkas had hijacked a plane it would have been settled years ago

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I wouldn't worry about her serving a life sentence when she gets back here as i've no doubt when she does return to UK she'll appeal against the length of sentence for the crime (most probably on the grounds of it being too harsh and infringing her human rights) and probably have it reduced to a couple of years at most at which point she'll be released and probably write a book on the horrors she had to endure during her short period in a foreign prison (including selling installments to various popular newspapers) and then do a tour lecturing on human rights infringments in foreign prisons.

Edited by snakey1

She was denied access to a lawyer

She was denied access to a defense

She would not have been found guilty in any proper legal system under these circumstances.

She may well have been raped in prison or she may well have been approached by some scummy prison guard/s who say "your going to be shot for sure, but if you let me / us make you pregnant it will save your life"

You are a terrified 20 year old girl in dreadful conditions and in immediate fear for you life. What would you do?

I'll tell you, you would bend over and take it like a man, and if you say any different your lying

Edited by Sportsman

not smuggle drugs?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

According to her own statement here she was neither raped nor is the father of the child a prison offical.

I find it interesting that in the report it says her chosen holiday destinations were Holland (known to be quite tolerent on the use of drugs), Thailand(known to be a major supplier of heroin from the area known as the golden triangle) and laos(also part of the "golden triangle" and once known as a supplier of a third of the worlds opium although it has been greatly reduced in recent years), I wonder what the common denominator for all three countries is :g: or maybe its me just seeing coincidences in everything.

Edited by snakey1

According to her own statement here she was neither raped nor is the father of the child a prison offical.

I find it interesting that in the report it says her chosen holiday destinations were Holland (known to be quite tolerent on the use of drugs), Thailand(known to be a major supplier of heroin from the area known as the golden triangle) and laos(also part of the "golden triangle" and once known as a supplier of a third of the worlds opium although it has been greatly reduced in recent years), I wonder what the common demoninator for all three countries is :g: or maybe its me just seeing coincidences in everything.

Yep, if it was me and I was still in the prison, I would keep my mouth shut about who did it as well. She apparently saw a consular official for 20 minutes every month, with a guard present at all times. Perhaps they had a little party :rolleyes:

The report on her movements mentions these three countries but doesn't mention any others. Were these the only countries she visited or were they selected for the reasons you suggest.

Still not enough reason to shoot anyone

Can I just add that I don't for one second condone smuggling or dealing in illegal drugs. Whether the drugs should be illegal is another argument.

Also I think that anyone who would go to a place like Laos and try to walk through the airport with a pound and a half of illegal drugs in their suitcase is guilty of criminal stupidity and I can't help thinking that it is unlikely to be something planned and carried out by a 20 year old girl. I suspect that other people had a hand in affairs and that this girl has been naive in the extreme.

Does this make her a criminal mastermind that deserves to be shot or even to spend life in prison, I don't think so.

Edited by Sportsman