Special Hurricane Rita note to any with relatives in TX

Newt

From lessons learned the hard way, even those not in danger from wind or water may have problems. Widespread power failures and damage can easily cause normal banking for those in affected areas to be unavailable. So no ATM transactions, no cheques cashed, etc.

I'd suggest you call and have them draw out enough cash to last several weeks. If not needed it can go back in the bank with no harm done but it is maddning to have plenty of money in the bank, plenty of credit cards, and not be able to buy food or fuel for days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good information Newt. My daughter lives about 35 miles inland near Beaumont. Just spoke with her and they are moving farther north near Lake Sam Rayburn and hoping that she can go back to school on Monday.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Beaumont - maybe. I would not bet on it though.

an-rita-wind.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

All bets are off on this one. It's going to set a new standard. The more that I think about it the less I think she is far enough away.

Sad thing is no-one will have any comms for a while. Having to wait for word is going to be the worst part.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

About 1pm our time Saturday I gather.

What a scary situation!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Jeff S - some recent info that will impact your daughter

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

quote:

Rita should weaken to Cat4 or possibly Cat3 by landfall
. While this is cause for some relief, Rita, like Katrina did, will still bring to the coast a storm surge characteristic of a much stronger hurricane. A Category 4 or 5 level storm surge is likely along a 60 - 80 miles stretch of coast to the right of where the storm makes landfall on Saturday. Storm surge heights will peak at 15 - 20 feet in some bays, and bring the ocean inland up to 50 miles from the coast. Large sections of I-10 between Houston and Beaumont could be inundated, and the flood waters may reach the cities of Beaumont, Orange, and Lake Charles. Wind damage will be severe, and Houston can expect a hazardous rain of glass from its high rise building like was experienced during Hurricane Alica in 1983. If the eye passes just west of Galveston Bay, the storm surge will push 1 - 3 of water into some of Houston's eastern suburbs, such as Deer Park.

an-houston_surge.gif

Expected inland penetration of a Category 5 level hurricane storm surge. Only areas along and to the right of Rita's landfall point may get a Category 5 storm surge. If Rita makes landfall east of Galveston, Houston and Galveston will not see the storm surge flooding shown here.

Current buoy measurements - NOAA buoy 42001 measured sustained winds of 58 mph, gusting to 78 mph, and 34 foot waves at 10am CDT. At the time, the buoy was located 75 miles WNW of Rita. This evening at 5pm CDT, Rita should make a very close pass by this buoy. I expect waves of 50 - 70 feet will impact the buoy, and huge swells from Rita are already starting to pound the Gulf Coast. A time series plot of the wind and pressure from buoy 42001 is worth checking out.

Most of the models now indicate that steering currents will weaken and Rita will stall and sit in place for several days once it moves inland. This will result in severe flooding problems for wherever Rita stalls, as 10 - 30 inches of rain could fall in the affected region. As is usually the case when steering current get weak, the model forecasts of Rita's motion are highly unreliable. Rita may stall over the Dallas area, or central Louisiana, or Oklahoma or Arkansas. It's too early to tell. Finally, on Tuesday, Rita's remnants are forecast to lift out to the north.

[ 22. September 2005, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

This is frightening stuff Newt,lets hope she dies out asap.

Question can people easily get there houses insured in those areas that keep getting panned?

I bet the prmiums are rather high

Best of luck USA

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

The normal sorts of insurance can be had although in some areas it is expensive. However, most of the policies exclude damage caused by flooding.

Special flood insurance provided by the government is available for many areas and the cost is based on the likelihood of your particular property flooding.

I have a son living in Orlando, Florida and if his house takes damage of the sort caused by a hurricane (but not flooding) he has a $5000 deductible and has to pay that amount before insurance will start paying. Not good but the premiums for a lower deductible are horrible.

Newt:

Jeff S - some recent info that will impact your daughter

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html

Thanks Newt well received. I haven't been able to reach them so hopefully they have already gone further inland to the lake. I just can't get my head around it. She's only 10!

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...