First trip out on the river

j_s

The plan was put into motion last night to get a basic link-leger ready, I opted to go for complete simplicity as I often try to make things far too complicated than is neccessary. I tied some line to a swivel, threaded it on the main line, put a float rubber stop on and tied a stopped knot on and then tied a sized 8 hook on. This way I could change the hook easily and make the distance between hook and leger as long or as short as I wanted and obviously adjust the weight.

I had my lob worms ready but forgot to get a loaf of bread so grabbed the last 2 slices out of the freezer to leave to thaw over night.

I was up late playing video games so didn't get much sleep as I got up at about 6.

Bread was a bit stale so zapped it in the microwave and then grabbed my gear, got on my bike and headed down the River Blackwater to fish a spot I've seen fish in from past recon trips :D

I got to the spot and found a ton of rubbish every where, obviously left from anglers as this was out of the way of the track that runs next to the river. I wish I had a bag with me as I would have picked it up but being on the bike and no bag left me with no choice but to leave the rubbish.

I found the bread to be far from perfect but dropped it in the swim where I had seen a largish chub when I did my recon trip a month and a half ago. The river was extremely low and clear and I saw no activity but persevered for a little while longer. No sign of fish so moved to the bridge where I had spotted some small chublets under a raft of weed. I dropped some bread in and within about 20 seconds a small chub appeared and mouthed the bread off. I decided to opt for crust and dropped that in and got a bite immediately from the same small chub which then turned round and got under the weed, hook then transferred to weed. Damn not a good start! Thought I'd try 1 more time at this spot but no joy.

I knew of 1 other spot that looked fishy but I had never seen any activity in the few times I've looked at it over the last few years. I got on my bike, got to the spot and saw nothing. I thought well I'm here now so might as well try it.

River1.jpg

Put the rod together, put some crust on the hook and returned to the swim and voila, 2 larger chub and a few small ones. I dropped the bait in and the small ones began plucking at the bait and pulled it off. I rebaited, dropped it back in and within 10 seconds one of the larger ones grabbed it and the fish was on. 5 seconds later I was pulling the weed off the hook :( I thought I must have ruined my chances of a fish now but threw in a few bits of bread and waited. Luckily they returned and I dropped the bait in and again within 5-10 seconds the same chub as before sucked it in and this time I wasn't going to lose it. I nearly did thanks to brambles pulling some line off my reel and getting tangled up so while trying not to lose the fish I was frantically sorting out the tangle. Line back on reel and after a few splashes the fish was in the net. Job done, of course it was the smaller of the 2 larger ones I had seen, the other one looked to be in a few scrapes as it had a scar on top of it's head and on it's side. I took some pictures and dropped the fish back in the water. I threw the rest of my bread in as it had gone quiet as expected. I started packing my rod away and of course the other chub appeared munching on all the free offerings, I will return to get him! :D

Here is the fish, not big but thoroughly enjoyable none-the-less.

Chub1.jpg

So a good start, goal this season is simply to take advantage of the limited free fishing in my area and give the Basingstoke canal a proper go, oh and try other rivers out :)

I will hopefully be fishing on the Wey in Farnham later this week, here are a few pics I took on Saturday of the stretch I want to try.

Wey_20090613_1%20(Small).jpg

Wey_20090613_2%20(Small).jpg

Wey_20090613_3%20(Small).jpg

Wey_20090613_4%20(Small).jpg

James

Well done James and nice write up & pics. The section of the Wey in the pics is where we always used to jam jar fish :) I even took my Dad down one time with Liam and we had a 'match' 3 generations all jam jar fishing :lol: oh Liam won!

lyn

Edited by lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Lovely report and nice pictures.

Streams like this can produce some surprising catches especially early in the morning or in the evening. I have never fished the Wey but it looks good.

I look forward to your next post showing the big Chub you are after which you are sure to catch especially as you've seen them already.

tight lines and good luck

BB

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks for the kind words, I always enjoy reading everyone's reports on here so it's nice to return the favour and hopefully bring a smile to someone's face :)

Big chub will probably be about 3lb if lucky :D

I am looking forward to the Wey, simply due to a more diverse selection of fish, I can only hope (selfish I know) not many others go to that section or think it's too low to fish ;)

Lyn, are you still trying the Wey on Thursday? Or the Thames on Saturday?

James

A great report and photos JS, thanks for posting. Proper fishing :) I'm looking forward to doing something very similar soon, once the 'gravel pit fatigue' has worn off!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I fished the wey this morning and managed 2 chub both bigger than the one pictured above :)

I wasn't happy with how I fished though and didn't catch on worm, only bread. I'm going to aim for the roach and gudgeon next time with maggots on a size 18 hook I think. Also will try for tench and crucians on the basingstoke canal this coming week too.

James

I went down the river aire in bingley on wednesday night,missed a couple of clonking bites,but managed to bank a minnow eventually :( trying the wharfe tommorow,please god let me catch a barbel or a chub :P

Edited by dapper64

Had a Barbel last night 8lb 6oz ,trying again now so fingers crossed steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I fished the wey this morning and managed 2 chub both bigger than the one pictured above :)

I wasn't happy with how I fished though and didn't catch on worm, only bread. I'm going to aim for the roach and gudgeon next time with maggots on a size 18 hook I think. Also will try for tench and crucians on the basingstoke canal this coming week too.

Didnt realise there were crucians in the Basinstoke canal? Have they been stocked recently or are they specific to one area?