Lead Shot

Chris Goddard

Budgie - you can read the exact wording from the EA Here.

Interesting though since all it says is

quote:

Fishing Weights

No fishing weights made of lead may be used except those of 0.06 grams or less and those of more than 28.35 grams.

In angling terms this means that lead shot from size 14 to size 8 and lead weights of over 1 ounce can be used in fishing.

While lead dust shot (size 8 and smaller) are legal, they are toxic to birds if ingested. Use spillproof containers for lead dust shot and always dispose of used lead safely at home.

with no mention of items that are a mix of lead and other materials. There may be more than this bare mention but nothing I could find on the EA site.

Still trying to locate the legal basis for the above but nothing so far. Maybe one of the others can post it but meanwhile, I'll keep looking.

[ 11. March 2005, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Newt.Im fully aware of the laws regarding the use of lead but its this recently raised issue of the legality of selling it that intrigues me! Once I ve got the details I will lret you all know why! Just want all the facts first so I dont make a fool of myself. :o

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Cat, pigeons, among......

Chris, who asked the question, is in France, I believe.... :confused:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Budgie - if the law resembles that of lead shot for shooting, I'd guess it would be legal to sell it to folks who were not free to legally use it.

Elton - hmmmm. Admit to friend in France or sister in Bordello.

My sister works in a bordello.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

O.K. so I admit I seem to have got it wrong. Hey but Scotland aint a million miles away is it? :)

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/consultations/e...ent/lscp-00.asp

CONSULTATION PAPER ON THE RESTRICTION ON USE OF LEAD SHOT IN SCOTLAND

Introduction

1. Lead is a poison. Decades of research into its toxic effects has shown that it affects the development, reproduction and survival of animals and humans and this has brought about to stricter control on the introduction of lead into the environment by a reduction in its use in paints, petrol and sport. The sale of lead fishing weights became illegal in 1986 and as usage declined, the populations of certain species increased. Many countries have either phased out lead shot or in the process of doing so.

Oooops! never mind Nugg interesting any way! Strange how England and Scotland vary on so many things.I was going to querry the lead shot in gun cartridges thing that Newt touched on.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

History tells us that during the time of ancient Rome, lead was the most precious of metals. Only the Emporer had his food prepared in lead pots and utensils. Didn't hurt them did it?

Where's my fiddle?

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Given the number of them who went crazy, I gotta wonder about that.

Take a look at http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/perspect/lead.htm for some interesting tidbits.

Yep plenty of lead shot sold in France both in tackle shops and the supermarkets.. but boy is it cheap.

Newt . . can I meet your sister?

Op's just got a clip round the ear from my wife!

Andrew Boyd