Which Broadband ISP?

Steve Burke

Guest NickInTheNorth
Peter Waller:

I can't get Broadband but do have BT Home Highway. It's digital & allows two lines that can be used at once and a connection speed of 64 whatevers. Seems pretty good to me, but I am a ludite at this computer lark!

Hi Peter

If your ISP allows it with Highway you can actually get 128 whatevers by using both lines, but then you can't use the phone at the same time.

:)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Lineone dial-up connection that became Tiscali. I got fed up with all their sales stuff so changed to BT dial-up, but still kept my Lineone Email address. It was that address that seemed to be getting most of the junk mail and viruses. In the end Outlook Express wouldn't download anything from them if there was a virus detected by Norton(that's how it seemed, anyway). I've now deleted the Lineone/Tiscali account from Outlook Express. There were over 3,000 emails there, the last time I looked, all junk!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Same as you Jim, my lineone (pre Tiscali so not their fault) was getting swamped with trash so I deleted it from my PC....hate to think how much is now stored on it :D

Still keep the free webspace though!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

My Lineone address followed me to Tiscali!

I just had a look at the account. It was full up at the beginning of April! Nothing later than that. I found out how to delete the lot at one go. Nothing there now, but I can't remember the dial-up number so from now on I'll just go to their site without getting Outlook Express involved.

[ 08. June 2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Mat Hillman:

Couple of points to consider Steve,

3) Email addresses - if you are using email for business you really should consider registering a proper domain name, it's relatively cheap, (I pay less than £15 a year for mine) but gives you email addresses and web URLs that can move with you should you change ISPs, vital I'd have thought not to lose touch with occasional customers!

Mat

Mmmmm I have "SEVERAL" Domain names but cannot SEND e-mail with any of them!! Do you know something I don't??

As to Steves problem? I at present use Freeserve/Wanadoo and as long as you get rid of the branding and all the crud they put on your PC and re-jig it just the way you like it I would Have NO hesitation in recommending it to anyone!!

Just don't ask technichal questions of the help team!!

In fact, don't ask questions!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest NickInTheNorth

Steve

For one of the best ISP's (which I think I may have mentioned before) you could do worse than look at http://www.nildram.co.uk they actually have a non-premium rate support line! And a very reliable service.

Chris sending mail is generally something done via your dial-up provider, and as such the domain is relatively unimportant. Where the domain is important is in being able to maintain an email address, regardless of who provides your connection to the internet.

HTH

I moved to Telewest due to lots of dissatisfaction with BTinternet (they cut you off after 2 hours whether your machine was active or not - the number of times this happened when I was downloading things of interest only to rocklings was uncanny!)- Telewest have been very reliable, especially as my machine is nearly on 24/24 with my insomniac rockling brood. I would reccommend Telewest but check if they have come and dug up the road outside your house yet to ensure availability! When they did that there was marvellous chaos for a while as they hit a power line and blacked out the opposite half of our street and then signed off for the weekend. Broadband is very fast and web sites generally load effortlessly. As for technical support one of the younger rocklings handles all this, he must have got it from his mother...

Cheers Rocky.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Goddard:

Mmmmm I have "SEVERAL" Domain names but cannot SEND e-mail with any of them!! Do you know something I don't??

Chris [/QB]

WEll when sending mail you should always use the SMTP mailserver of the ISP that you are using for your connection.

But theres no reason you can't set the from address in your email client to any of your domains

for example I have my broadband with BT, so I use mail.btopenworld.com as the outgoing mail server in my settings, but my email address is set to mat@thehillmans.co.uk.

Mat

Mat

Extremely helpful and interesting site for learning about ADSL & finding what's available : http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Personally I've been a customer of Entanet for over 10 years now, right from the days of 14/4 modems through ISDN and now on ADSL. Not the cheapest but excellent quality of service.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.