keepnets

pellets

Guest tigger

I just can't be arsed carrying a keepnet to and fro on a fishing trip. I can't actually see a keep net damaging any fish if there kept in it for shortish periods and the net is big enough, the right shape and made of the right material. I can't actually see much point in using one though unless your fishing a match or really want to see all your catch at the end of a session. I would rather take a sack along just incase I needed time to get a camera out etc or if I caught a new record lol. As I said a keep net is just extra unwanted weight to carry in my op.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When have you noticed this Budgie?

When they are still in the net, or on the hook?

John.

On a couple of waters I was allowed to keep a suply of roach (caught there) for bait.A sunken keepnet was the easiest option.About a week after capture you could see fungus starting to apear (always easier spotted when the fish is in the water) I put this down to over crowding and reduced the numbers dramaticly.Still same problem. Went back to using plastic buckets with holes drilled in.No problem at all despite them being really over crowded in the buckets.

My conclusion was that it had to be the keepnet as opposed to over crowding or the initial handling.

Also at another time A friend who was using the same bucket method told me his fish had fungused up.It transpired that when he caught them he kept them in a keepnet for the period of the session and only transfered them to the buckets at the end of the day.

Now Im not saying that the fish people keep in nets after a match etc all fungus up later back in the water! as I should imagine that the stress factor of being retained long term (as in the case of the livebaits) is a contributing factor as well.

Most anglers who use livebaits and are worth their salt always try to keep the baits in top condition and regard waste as unaceptable. They wouldnt want to use mank baits but also dont agree with wasting good fish by not keeping them in best condition.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

My reason for not using them is based on an incident rather than logic but I haven't used one since.

Many years ago I had three decent tench in a keepnet staked out in deeper water a few yards away from where I was fishing. A pike decided to attack them, the thrashing around, subsequent untangling (with help) and then holding the damn thing in the water until it swam away sort of put me off keepnets.

Now I just can't be bothered to carry one around, don't know whether they harm fish but I can remember as a youngster not all of my catch used to swim away when released.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I find them a little inconvenient when wading and trotting :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Have to say... ive never used a keepnet and really dont think they are safe for fish at all.

I prefer to just put the fish straight back.

It was in the Angling Times either this week or last... that matches are now starting to ban the use of keepnets and they are instead getting runners to record the weight of the fish before putting them back into the water.

I feel this is a much better system :)

Edited by Sparkeh

Guest tigger
Have to say... ive never used a keepnet and really dont think they are safe for fish at all.

It was in the Angling Times either this week or last... that matches are now starting to ban the use of keepnets and they are instead getting runners to record the weight of the fish before putting them back into the water.

Mmm......can't see that working somehow. When a match is busy and everyones catching lots of small fish/big fish, you'd need a person stood by every angler and even then it might not be quick enough if fish are coming out fast.

Now I just can't be bothered to carry one around, don't know whether they harm fish but I can remember as a youngster not all of my catch used to swim away when released.

True Rusty I would be a liar if I didnt admit to the odd dead fish sometimes when using one.Normally a micro perch or two.That said I can live with the odd dead fish and Im fairly sure that some of these would have died even if released immediately.

So if youve never used one how can you say that?

I dont read the press but wouldnt mind betting they are talking about the modern style matches on carp holes.Totally different thing and I totally agree that not putting big fish in big numbers in nets and then far more damaging weighing them all together isnt good!

On a couple of waters I was allowed to keep a suply of roach (caught there) for bait.A sunken keepnet was the easiest option.About a week after capture you could see fungus starting to apear (always easier spotted when the fish is in the water) I put this down to over crowding and reduced the numbers dramaticly.Still same problem. Went back to using plastic buckets with holes drilled in.No problem at all despite them being really over crowded in the buckets.

My conclusion was that it had to be the keepnet as opposed to over crowding or the initial handling.

I've never come across that Budgie, though I've never kept fish for longer than the duration of a match, and never over crowded them.

As for the casualties attributed to the use of keepnets. I've also seen the same on some waters where keepnets are not allowed. I put it down to bad handling as much as the the effects of a keepnet.

I would like to see this weighing each fish individually, recording it and then releasing it. Even I as an average match angler could at times catch 2-3 fish a minute. It would need 3 or 4 'runners' just to keep up!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As for the casualties attributed to the use of keepnets. I've also seen the same on some waters where keepnets are not allowed. I put it down to bad handling as much as the the effects of a keepnet.

I would often find a few casualties in my keepnet at the end of a day's fishing, and these weren't due to bad handling. I would usually take them home and freeze them for pike bait. There's something about keepnets that kill fish (I'm not talking big/hardy fish like carp, although I'm willing to bet they find the experience very stressful). I think it is just stress a lot of the time.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music