Float Fishing

Anglers' Net

Do you remember when....?

Click here to view the full article

Clint Walker???

Wasn't he in Cheyanne(sp?) ?

Well Mr Walker, some of us don't have to look that far back to remember it.

It's second nature, a time warp to a much simpler age, and a haven of sanity, that acts as an antidote to the madness of much of todays angling.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Clint is predominantly a carp angler, which explains the perspective from which that article was written, and I think his feelings about his journey into the 'past' the other pretty much match yours, John. When he emailed me the other day, I was climbing the walls, imagining a little orange float tip bobbing under! :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Clint is predominantly a carp angler, which explains the perspective from which that article was written, and I think his feelings about his journey into the 'past' the other pretty much match yours, John. When he emailed me the other day, I was climbing the walls, imagining a little orange float tip bobbing under! :D

You're obviously not old enough to remember 'Cheyanne' Elton, a TV western from the 60s. :D

Strangely enough, that's roughly the time of my first ventures into competitive fishing, competing both with other anglers, and bigger and more challenging fish.

Now I often prefer to just 'fish', no specific species, no particular size, just fish for enjoyment.

It used to be called "pleasure fishing". :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I rate that as one of the best articles ever to appear on AN, and there have been some good ones.

Although I've got all the gear (and some would say not much of an idea...), as a relative newcomer into angling I've somehow managed to avoid being swayed by the angling press into always trying to catch bigger fish, and instead I've settled into my favourite method - float fishing with a simple waggler.

I've tried feeder fishing, fly fishing and even a foray into deep sea fishing, but for me there's nothing to beat sitting by the canal or my club lake, just watching and waiting for that float to bob...

I was very interested in his comment about looking away from the float to see the grass looking as though it was viewed through a child's kaleidoscope - I thought it was just me going slightly mad!

Nice article.

Janet

Personally I think it does you good to go back to some basic float fishing without all the gizmos and gadgets that seem to fill ones tackle bag in todays world. There are one or two farm pools not far from where I live and I am determined to give them a go in the near future. It can also be surprising what turns up. I also well remember Cheyanne Bodie who was one of my favourite characters along with Brett Maverick B) so gozzer wasn't the only one with a mis spent youth

I probably waggler fish when coarse fishing more than anything and most of my mates do. It was the first thing I taught Andy_1984 (wherever he's hiding these days) because I thought it was a good stead for everything that followed.

OK, I quiver/feeder a fair bit at the moment but it's neatly packed in a tube alongside my match rod because one goes with the other in my mind.

Waggler fishing.....it's great when it's working. I had about 30 Rudd just last week all on the waggler in a method akin to that very article. Underarm casting, random feeding, mending the line when I could be bothered but most of it was just for the fun of it. I did mark a few floats with black marker, which was about as 'into it' as I was going to get.

Normally when I set everything up in any kind of professional manner, I never catch anything. There's definitely something to be said for 'random' fishing.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Thats all I have been doing with Dale (7yrs), 4m tele whip, rig tied straight on to the end, small float, size 18 hook, single maggot and occasional handfull of maggots scattered out.

Took him three times on local commercial so far and had double figures each time.

Have had 1 nice tench and a carp so far and he has already taken a liking to the bigger fish. Got to teach him how to hook a maggot, land and remove hook before progressing I think. Early days so far but he is already planning a trip with Grandad in the summer holidays.

The bug is biteing!!!!