Lure rod suggestions please.

Paul_D

wouldn't mind having a look at those rods Dave, but the link argyll posted doesn't work.... Is that the correct site?

thanks in advance

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have got three of Daves rods, two bait blasters rated at 3.5 lbs and one of his raider rods for lure work which I use with a 6501 (left hand wind) multiplier. Cracking gear all of it and it gets well recommended to all and sundry. The raider comes in two pieces a short handle butt section and a one piece top section , when put together you have the feel of a one piece rod and its well balanced with the 6501. He also sells other heavier rated rods all worth a look.

Well done Dave for recommending other makes

Harris Angling's own brand are not too bad, I use the 9' baitcaster job for my sea spinning and it performs pretty well.

The blanks fine but the fittings are not so good but well up to the rigours of saltwater.

The range covers everything from ultralights to jerkbait rods, but I do not know how long they will remain available since the takeover by Masterline.

[ 24. February 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Paul_D - did you get the C3 or C4 version of the reel?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Gerry, ******! A ten foot rod, with soft bodied lures, as stated, from a boat can be the bees knees, you should try it.

Work 'em slow means the line is often slack, a long rod means a quick pick up. Pick up a big old pike on a longer rod and playing is so much easier too. I'll grant you that a 6 to 7 foot rod is the nuts for solid, rigid lures from a boat, but don't decry a longer rod my friend, they have their uses.

And what is wrong with long casts from a boat? Cover a lot more water that way! During the winter, when the fish are laying on the bottom, in deeper water, a ten footer has a lot going for it. Never thought I'd say that but having tried it I've got to admit that a longer rod can be an extremely effective tool from a boat.

If you want to go the jerk bait route then I can heartilly recommend the Masterline and Berkley rods. Shop around and you will probably pick 'em up for less than £50.00. For the life of me I can't see the advantage of paying double for a label, unless you are an out and out tackle snob!!

My tackle has to work hard, and it gets hammered in a boat. My 'cheap' rods survive and do the work as well as any 'expensive' jobby. Yes, get an expensive reel, money well spent, but money alone does not make a rod 'good', and I am fussy about my tackle.

And, Paul, I've been at it a long time now, I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't do it myself and hadn't thoroughly tested it out. I'm not a catalogue fisherman just browsing the net, I do it most days of the week! Oh, I've seen and handled Argyll's Dave Lumb rods, sheer quality, rods to be proud of.

[ 24. February 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Wordbender:

Wordbender:

If you are on a budget there are plenty of 'off the peg' rods around these days that will serve you well for around half the price of one of mine.

Such a statement must not go un-applauded, Sir!

(I can offer no finer compliment than to say this man has the makings of a carper and no mistake.)

Fair play to Dave! He deserves a sale for being so straight!Dont see that often in todays tackle trade,Not only a top piker,top rod builder but top guy as well!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If you want to take advantage of the current exchange rate $$ to ££, These rods are excellent and the $90 is £47 as of today.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have tried it. But there's a difference between working an eight foot deep patch of Broads with mag grubs and a huge endlessly deep Irish lough or Cumbrian lake with bulldawgs. Paul D has specifed big lures. Whatever your 10 foot Masterline is good at, its the wrong tool for this job and the whole point of having a boat on that kind of water is to enable deep water trolling or deepwater jigging. Not long casting. It might pass a pleasant day but its not the way to tackle these waters. Send him your Sam Gaten crankbait, that would start him off nicely. Just dont send him a 10 foot salmon lure rod.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

If you want to take advantage of the current exchange rate $$ to ££, These rods are excellent and the $90 is £47 as of today.

Frustratingly good value Newt. Problem is unless they pack below 42" most carriers these days wont touch them and UPS (who will) make an 'excess' charge that would make your eyes water.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'