Tench Rakes

Andy Macfarlane

I've been on a bit of Scottish Tench campaign at the moment with 1 fish to my name, which isn't bad really for 3 sessions.

I have a new water with a swim clearance problem and I need a rake. It doesn't have to be huge because the water isn't massive and there are only so any areas we want cleared. Just enough to get a rod (2 at a push but probably a legered rig with a waggler fished over the top at greater distance, so no interference or complications) in each swim, would suffice.

Have any of you got THE plan for the best tench rake?

....andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

When I was young and energetic (like 35! :) ) I procured two ordinary garden rake heads and wired them securely back to back (if you can weld them instead so much the better). Tie onto a long stout rope and you can clear a swim as far as you can throw the rake.

Raking over a gravelly bottom can produce quite rapid results. However, if the bottom is silt, mud or chod (as many of our southern tench waters are) raking is not a good idea, which is why I haven't bothered with a rake for many years now.

Just remembered - beware of lily roots unless you have a very strong rope!

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I done exactly the same as vagabond. So simple and effective i just riveted them together. Its really good way of attacting the fish to feed and its amazing how quick they responed sometimes after a racking. One thing i will say though, Its best to deposite all the dragged out weed back into the margin to the side of your swim rather than leave a pile on the bank to dry in the sun. Because other people will know the swim has been cleared and willl also benefit from your hard work.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I've got some half inch cable ties. Would one of them between the tines be enough to secure the heads back to back?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I've got some half inch cable ties. Would one of them between the tines be enough to secure the heads back to back?

Dont see why not, Just put as many as you can and keep an eye on them. I suppose you could use jubilee clips aswell.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

In my own humble opinion, a rake is a vital piece of equipment for Tench fishing especially on my local gravel pits where the summer weed growth in recent years has exploded to the degree that without raking, many swims are virtually impossible to fish. The old method of attaching two garden rakes together is a good one provided that they are secured together preferably by welding or bolting but wire can also be used. The main problem with this method is ensuring that when thrown out the rake comes back without twisting and to ensure this as far as possible it needs an eye bolt or something similar to attach the rope to. Again and it is only my own opinion, I think that a purpose made rake is a much better option and for many years I have gone down this route with my current model shown in the attached pictures. This could also be improved by welding an eye to the apex of the triangular frame which would ensure that the rope could not slip down the frame.The advice given by Vagabond relating to Lilly roots is very sound as I know to my cost with the same applying to rocks and obstructions like underwater cables and tree roots. The plus side is that in many cases the response from the fish to a good raking can be virtually instant and I have experienced this on numerous occassions taking fish when others are struggling to get a bite. I know and accept that there are varied opinions on this subject but for me I am of the opinion that a rake can be the thing that can give you the edge.

just a couple of photos of mine note the chain plus quick release so you can take the rope off for drying

004.jpg

005.jpg

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Some good ideas there chaps and good pics too. Keep them coming people, if there are any.

Appreciated.....Andy

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

When I was young and energetic (like 35! :) ) I procured two ordinary garden rake heads and wired them securely back to back (if you can weld them instead so much the better). Tie onto a long stout rope and you can clear a swim as far as you can throw the rake.

Raking over a gravelly bottom can produce quite rapid results. However, if the bottom is silt, mud or chod (as many of our southern tench waters are) raking is not a good idea, which is why I haven't bothered with a rake for many years now.

Just remembered - beware of lily roots unless you have a very strong rope!

yup lillies have very big roots ,i remember as a kid the police searching keston ponds (looking for a body)

they raked a huge amount of roots (and 3" thick stems) up using a team of pullers ,we were not allowed to fish but we did go home with our tackle bags bulging with lures and split shot :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Because other people will know the swim has been cleared and willl also benefit from your hard work.

This place rarely sees anglers according to the bloke across the road and the anglers park their cars in a small lay-by in full view of his house!! He was very cool and reckoned a rake was the way to go. Funnily enough and odder still, he's an angler and he reckoned my intentions and rigs so far were 100% spot on and it was just a matter of time before I scored.

His only criticism was the amount of groundbait I was using. It wasn't ENOUGH! He said double what I'm using and darken the mix with black powder or worm cast, mole soil or something. He says the Tench love it but the silvers hate it (the white patch, won't swim over it effect). Black as possible he reckoned but my ground-mix was bang on he thought. Just not the colour.

I would be using...

900g bag of suitable groundbait.

900g of Strawberry Fizz or similar (but didn't have any yesterday)

About 1 -2 full loaves of brown liquidised crumb for bulk.

Half a Kilo of cooked hemp

Half a Kilo of cooked maize (cos it's that we bit darker and tougher) or a tin of Dynamite Strawberry corn or just plain GG niblet corn (ho ho ho!) but that's made red easily with food colouring...didn't leave out the juice either.

Dynamite Strawberry Additive for the groundbait water and straight from the bottle for glugging my corn baits. Man that stuff smells good.

Some freebies, especially red maggot, corn (red if possible), red caster and redworm or even lobs (chopped and the cast) if available. It was lovely to my nose.

A wee squirt of Dynamite Scopex through my maggots. That smells nice too.

My rig was a converted block-end feeder (it empties slowly and casts better than an open-end feeder) with the cap removed and a heavy lead attached, made into a semi-fixed bolt-rig, using a Grippa stop as the stop (slides off pretty easily should anything adverse happen but enough grip for the bolt-effect) with a 3-4 inch 3lb hooklength and 2 pieces of hair-rigged corn (fake and real) , steeped in Dynamite Strawberry additive and stopped with a bright red boilie stop. The hook was a size 12 Drennan corn hook with a bunch of red maggots on for effect. By removing the Grippa stop it's just a running leger rig.

There's a strawberry and red theme going here.

The chap I spoke to said that was ideal and it would definitely work. It was just my luck it never got taken (too sunny he thought) but he said keep the mix a bit darker and just keep doing what I'm doing and I'll catch them nps. Says I'm right on track. He said red food colouring also goes a long way and really it's worth adding a full bottle.

It was good day for learning. We did catch plenty of Rudd, Roach, Perch and Hybrids. For the Tench though, I just need to find a good supply of worms and maybe cup out some chopped worm and VDE Predator Plus for the 'explosion' after raking but the food colouring should cover that methinks. I know how far that stuff goes from the kitchen trade. Food colouring is cheaper and Predator plus doesn't smell of strawberries.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...