match anglers PAH!

chesters1

yesterday on my rounds i was talking to an elderly angler fishing where i had advised him to the week before ,next to his peg is the remnants of the weedbed that makes these swims first class in the summer (the weedbed dies back some 18" under the surface in the winter but is still present) he thanked me for a great day picking up roach to a pound between the weedbed and the bank (about 10ft out in 7ft of water)) today in the same swim is a pole user ,his box adorned with his teams badges ,his pole costing several thousand pounds i would think has the smallest float possible sitting in the water many many meters out ,the bank strewen with pole rollers that could support a 2mtre sat dish and other bits and bobs,"got anything" i idly asked when getting his permit number ,"**** all" he says scowling ,"this lake is crap its the second time ive blanked here".

i advised him to try where the old chap was fishing and he laughed (really) giving me a pitying look ,i shrugged and walked up the bank ,the old bloke was there with his old tackle ,we greeted and i asked as he was putting his tackle away that despite being unable to get in the same swim because of the pole user he had caught almost as much under his feet as he did yesterday and had run out of bait.

as i was going back along the bank (you cant walk all the way round the pond) the pole angler was moving his stuff into the now departed blokes swim. on looking across the pond on the way up the other bank the pole angler had every section set up and fishing at the furthest reaches of his impressive pole ,on the way back down the bank to my bike did i advise him to fish under his feet ,did i bugger :D

many people find the bailiff an annoyance a chap that bothers their fishing with requests for permits or to tell them off for breaking a rule ,but he`s there day after day winter and summer if HE doesnt know where to fish no-one does ,people look incredulouse when i can tell them where our 3 resident koi are at a particular time of the day but then i see them every day

one angler waved me to him (i had got his number in the morning) he laughingly told me that he did have his sandwhiches pinched by the 2 resident ducks ,i had told him in the morning to put them and his groundbait bowl infront of his seat rather than behind it as the resident ducks come out of the water in the next swim and attack from behind :D obviasly he didnt and went hungry :D

[ 12. April 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

repeat to me "bailiffs are our friends" "bailiffs are our friends" :D:D

i`v never been asked for mine ,seeing theres just me asking :(

[ 12. April 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

tell me chesters do you really only fish one particular swim on your lake and no other?I remember you posting that if that swim was taken you went back home.

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

yes ,but i do ask what others catch and know exactly what the bottoms like having seen the lake empty (dam burst) i only fish that one swim because its next to the carpark and the disabled mrs cant walk far ,its also the best in most wind conditions and over 25 odd years have tried them all i now only fish that swim as i know every bit of it by heart :D its a comfortable "home from home" swim ,living just up the road i usually pop down first to see if its empty and its visible from the track i can turn round and go home without stopping and it doesnt bother me to blank ,fishing is not just catching fish its the "outside" bit ,i am perfectly happy blanking as i am catching ,if the fish dont play its a time to recollect and arrange your thoughts (and the mrs likes to "win" ) and quality always comes second to quantity in her book :D

[ 12. April 2004, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

fair enough I too for many years fished one particular swim on a favourite pond that I had fished since the age of 10 fished it every time up to the age of 18 when I suddenly got sidetracked by the fairer sex and gave up fishing for a good few years,got wed furthered the human race then got bored and remembered fishing.

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

i have given up being "adventurous" all my younger days were spent pouring over maps looking for likely spots ,poring through the angling papers for "hot" spots and countless train miles spent getting to them ,now i`m older and wiser .tackle boxes have got smaller and only one rod and reel spare "just in case" ,all my nasty competitive streak has gone and match fishing just a memory ,a bit of tiddler bashing or a bit of night fishing suits me fine and why bother traipsing round the pond to blank when its possible to do it next to the car , a couple of times i havent even bothered to set up and enjoyed just sitting watching the mrs bashing her gudgeon and watching the wildlife :D

i pity the youngsters with this 364 day fishing ,gone is the hectic few last days of the season ,the rod stripping and revarnishing and the reel overhauls ,the "special" floatmaking (usually a disapointing failure) and then the excitement of the new season getting close ,then the big day and the "smell " of the chosen water as you sit in the mist on the first day waiting for it to get light enough to see the float :( my close season was spent sea fishing ,what exciting days they were

[ 12. April 2004, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]