Unusual Gigs

Guest Julia

Wierd gigs....hmmmmm.....How about The Cropdusters at the Mayfair Suite in Southampton (1988 I think). This was the last ever gig in this venue as it had been sold for development and they had already started the demolition.

Another strange one was New Model Army at the Portsmouth Guildhall. Strange only because the Cropdusters (Them again, brilliant band live) were supporting and to see all these Goths and Punks dancing away to the'Dusters brand of hoe-down was surreal to say the least.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost saw New Model Army at the Students Union in Portsmouth. I say nearly because all the bands London based fans heard about the gig before the locals. Consequently the tickets were sold out before the local fans could get any. All the local fans turned up,caused a Riot and mass brawl with the London Mob. I hid upstairs in one of the offices.

[ 03. August 2005, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

Ken L:

Any "King Kurt" gig. A band that does 20p haircuts on stage for audience members just has to be worth seeing.

Now we're talking! A gig with drinking contests, food fights and 20p haircuts you know you've been on a good night out. The give away was the queue of people outside with bags full of eggs and flour. The venue owners did get wise to this and banned food but it was good while it lasted. Try getting a cab home when your covered head to toe in pink gunk....

JRT

It was liver at one gig.

It was still there slowly rotting in high, hard to clean places next time I whent to the club.

As it was a strip joint when no bands wre playing it was hardly hygenic and the flies must have been most impressive a couple of weeks later.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Forgot to mention "The Jesus and Mary Chain" at Birmingham's Powerhouse immediatly following the release of "Psychocandy".

15 minutes of nice little surf songs wrapped in screaming feedback followed by a full on indoor riot.

Ah, those were the days !

Come to think about it, there was also a riot when "The Cramps" played Birmingham ODEON for just 15 minutes. It turned out that the frontman (The wonderfully well named "Lux Interior") had walked of stage to grab a drink, keeled over and been rushed to hospital.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Alien Sex Fiend.......what a great call!!! :)

Saw them twice, once in Brum and once at the Klubfoot in London.

Saw the Sisters of Mercy on their final tour in `84 (I think..)They played the Powerhouse but I don`t think Wayne Hussey was in a good mood, he smacked a guy over the head with his guitar and walked off stage never to be seen again. At least it was one of the encores!

Sigue Sigue Sputnik.....overhyped and awful. 30 minute set for a headlining band.....

X-Mal Deutschland were strange, especially as they had All About Eve supporting.

New Model Army, great band. Saw them on the Vengeance tour.

Mind you, weirdness has to be given to the old JBs in Dudley. Titchy little place that was an old scout hut but the bands that had played there over the years were incredible, from Led Zep to Blondie. Never a dull moment in that place and a great venue for real gigs.

wolf.gif

Looks like we were both at the same Sisters and NMA gigs.

The sisters were always good for a live show, certanly much better than the reecorded works of the original lineup would indicate.

The live cover of Hot Chocolate's "Emma" was always a highlight. This track did finally appear as a B side on one of their later 12"s and I took great delight in ripping a digital copy of it when I got the chance.

If I remembre corectly King Kurt used the hose on the audience in an attempt to clean them up a bit before going home. Unfortunately the hose contained a foam based liquid which didnt help a great deal.

Went to a gig at the Students Union in Portsmouth. The Band in question were fresh in from the States to do one TV slot and a couple of gigs for the benefit of the press, (the band were being hyped by the TV program). The band in question was something like Lone Justice. At the gig there was me Jeremy and the Guy from the TV (Whistle Test I think) and a lot of open space as most of the crowd gathered at the back.

[ 03. August 2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

Thats a nice coincidence Ken!

I used to love the Sisters cover versions, how they ever got away with Jolene is beyond me but Eldritch managed to pull it off!

I thought they sold out big style after the break-up. Releasing Emma as a b-side was good but commercially motivated. The worst one though had to be releasing Long Train as a b-side (was it Lucretia?) That was only ever available as a flexi-disc (wasn`t it Flexi-Pop magazine number three?) and was the holy grail for true Sisters fans. I only knew one person who owned it!

I still rate First Last and Always as one of the true classic all time albums.

Did you see NMA at JB`s?

wolf.gif