Unusual Gigs

Guest Julia

No. I only ever saw them at their Powerhouse gig with "Joolz" doing the support slot.

Poetry (even "punk poetry") really wasn't what the audience wanted. Afterall, you cant jump up and down hitting people to poetry can you ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Supertramp at college the week before they released Dreamer. It cost 25p to get in. 3 months later they played the college again and the tickets for their gigs were £2.00

Ars longa vita brevis indeed

Worst gig? Uriah Heep in Chatham around 1972 - before Gary Thain tried DIY electronics, my hearing was impaired for 4 days afterwards and the music (such as it was) left everything to be desired. Still, my girlfriend of the time was a fan.

Weirdest gig? The Half Moon in Putney. As a student I was playing the folk clubs. A guy walked in obviously the worse for Pints of Young's Ram and Special and sat intently watching my hands. Quite off-putting. During a break he came up to me and made polite conversation and asked if he could play for 10 minutes during the interval. The landlord obviously knew the guy well and he was obviously well liked by the locals, so in the interests of getting more gigs there, I agreed. He wasn't just good, he was outstanding.

I asked him if he knew any of the songs I was going to play in my second set and he looked down the list and said, 'yeah, most of them'. We played 3 songs straight off and I wanted to believe there were at least two of him playing - he was that good.

At the end of the songs, I said I'd really enjoyed his playing and that he was better suited to playing lead rather than as an accompanist, oh and what's your name, mate?'

Bert Jansch - he'd written the 3 songs we played. A truly horrible experience, I promise.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

'Weirdest gig? The Half Moon in Putney'

Saw Paul Simon walk into the Half Moon and play an impromtu set.

'Bert Jansch - he'd written the 3 songs we played'

Still struggling with the middle bit of Anji (the toon not the woman)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

It was strange going to see David Lee Roth at Ipswich some years back. Had seen him as lead singer with Van Halen a couple of times. Mass of hair and all that. Then when we saw him on this solo type tour, he came out with short hair and a three piece suit. He was good actually, the way he conversed with the audience. He also did a couple of rocking Van Halen numbers amongst his new stuff.

Another one was after having idolised Led.Zep. for some years, then not really believing that we were there at Knebworth watching them on their final gig.............. ( about 1976 )...

I remember seeing Santana play at Knebworth in the early 80's - they were booked to play for 45 minutes and played for an hour and a quarter. In the process they drowned out the wedding service in the local church.

Apart from the exhortations to peace and love, the music was really wonderful.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

worst "gig" i have ever seen was gillan live ,having been a deep purple fan i was shocked at how crap he was in the flesh.

best for pure entertainment was at Leas Cliff Hall folkestone in early 70's too peed to remember their name but the rendition of Caveman Sam was tremendous and the visual effects moreso,most entertaining member of a group was the bloke that was guitarist for Slade (Dave?) boy he could drink and funny with it propped up at the bar,same place.

most sexy woman a lead singer dressed in skin tight (and i mean tight) leopard print leotard at a pub in passfield near bordon hants ,we think (we were peed there too )that she may have been kim wild in an early outing ,but drink can fool the unwary :rolleyes:

went to several at the rainbow and other big venues but remember little

[ 03. August 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, what a great venue that was ( The Rainbow ). Saw Rainbow there ( at The Rainbow ), as well as Iron Maiden, Van Halen etc, etc. Forgotten some of them now, but still remember the little lights in the ceiling that looked like stars. Think I was often looking up there as I was playing me " guitar ".

Also saw the " official " last concert of Deep Purple ( with Tommy Bolin; Richie Blackmore's replacement ), at the ? indoor arena at Wembley

Saw the Frank Chickens once; weird Japanese Girlie band.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Strangest band, DaDa , unbelievable musicians, fronted by 2 great singers. Strange was one of the singers, not Robert Palmer knocking the tops off of pint bottles of Newcastle Browns on the mike stand, Yep Elkie Brooks might have looked elegant in full ball dress but she could kneck it with the best of them!!! Loudest, sitting on top of the Who,s sound system at the second Isle of Wight festival. Most under- rated John Mayells blues breakers at UAE , had a new guitarist one Eric Clapton, Band to see at the moment? Shoogleniffty, acid croft with attitude.