Who is Going to BUY?

HOPPY4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is being brought from another forum, but I think it is a way to get a Good Discussion going. The question was brought forward as a S & G type of question. It is a Valid Question to us as we spend quite alot of money on our gear. Now they have brought this particular reel out and I am wondering who are the purchasers? My vote went to Van Staal as they were to me a fine piece of equipment that I could not see the use versus the exspendeture equation being equal. Opinions are requested!!!

The ZEEBAAS ZX-S is the New face and it has a US Pricetage of $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 depending on the vendor.

http://www.tackledirect.com/zeebaas-zx-ser...anual-bail.html

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Bloody hell, even the lightest one weighs over a pound!

I appreciate the technical specs and the materials but over engineering springs to mind. 12 ball bearings? Nothing new there. My Ambidexes and Felton Crosswind have that (or do they mean ball races?). Spiral bevel gears in reels aren't new either.

Nice, pretty and in the same league as a Bugatti Veyron, completely over the top but if you've money to burn, well, why not?

Out of my league I'm afraid! :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

you theoretically could make the worst reel ever made with expensive metals and precious stones.

the designer seems to have no particular patents they look like subtle changes rather than "new" reels (as centerpins are very old he certainly didnt invent the concept and fix spools haven't changed since the hardy patent for th full bailarm expired)

not sure what a "limited" lifetime warrenty is but even cheap (relatively) mitchells used to be guaranteed for life (that didnt last long)

as a reel its nothing more than a wish list of things that may look nice or "may" improve the reel but under the glitz its just a holder for line like all the rest not sure why its in the sea fishing section for its line capacity is pathetic

i would rather wear out cheap reels for a lifetime and have the fun of shopping for them

its the reel equivalent of "The Homer" (do your search :D )

its probably ok to show your mates as you puff on your cigar but probably its as much good as a rolls royce on a sand dune

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is being brought from another forum, but I think it is a way to get a Good Discussion going. The question was brought forward as a S & G type of question. It is a Valid Question to us as we spend quite alot of money on our gear. Now they have brought this particular reel out and I am wondering who are the purchasers? My vote went to Van Staal as they were to me a fine piece of equipment that I could not see the use versus the exspendeture equation being equal. Opinions are requested!!!

The ZEEBAAS ZX-S is the New face and it has a US Pricetage of $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 depending on the vendor.

http://www.tackledirect.com/zeebaas-zx-ser...anual-bail.html

HOPPY4

:camera: If they want to send me one for review that's fine but I think Mrs B might flinch at my Visa bill if I bought it. :rolleyes:

WOW, thats incredible money for a reel, i dont mind sharing how much i paid for my setup, I have Berkley series 1 Skeletor and the reel i use is a Okuma EPX30 "Match" obv with fireline for the lot (Inc the line) i spent around 300 quid (English)

Now i can see a huge difference between the gear i have now and my old "Budget" gear. The rod has more bend and therefore needs less casting weight, the reel has a pretty good retrieval rate and also a Dual handle for a more balanced setup, BUT 1,200 USD for a REEL! WOW! To me its incromprehendable what kind of a difference that would make to my casting action or even the fight.

My "Budget" to "Decent" equipment transfer was a very wise move and ive never looked back, infact ive always looked forward since then.

However i would not buy something like this, not even if i had say a lotto budget, id go for a reel made by a proven company i have heard of like Shimano or Abu Garcia. For the money i may even be able to get myself something "Special Edition" But that reel looks to plain for me.

Even buying the reel now, the extra money would mean extra hours at work and that would cut down on the fishing! OOOH NOOO!!

I paid approx 700 - 800 USD less for my Entire setup, i'll catch the same fish in my local harbour, beach, lake etc etc.

"A fish that will bite will fight! But the best fish are those that take flight!" ;D

Just had a look at the link.

Way overpriced - and what do they mean by "manual pickup" ? -

You have to flip the bale arm over by hand rather than just winding the handle ?

or you have to collect the reel from the store yourself?

at that price I would have expected them to be delivered on a silver salver, to have an automatic pickup, and indeed, to be self-levitating.... ;)

Also kept getting "script error" messages every time I moved the cursor - was that an omen?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Just had a look at the link.

Way overpriced - and what do they mean by "manual pickup" ? -

You have to flip the bale arm over by hand rather than just winding the handle ?

Yep, that is what they mean. Same as the Saltiga and Saltist both of which are nicer reels to handle than the Zeebass and both of which are also grossly over priced. I do own a Saltist fixed spool reel, but only because I won it in a raffle. There are a lot of reels that are much better value than those I have mentioned here.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

could manual pickup be the old fashioned FPU (finger pick up) where you manually place the line behind a small pin or roller on the bit the "bail arm" goes on ???

i have an 90's intrepid here with a FPU (they did a full bail too) so perhaps they are still fashionable in the USA?

i remember 20 years ago using a mitchell on chesil with the same bail it was bloody annoying!!!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yep, that is what they mean. Same as the Saltiga and Saltist both of which are nicer reels to handle than the Zeebass and both of which are also grossly over priced. I do own a Saltist fixed spool reel, but only because I won it in a raffle. There are a lot of reels that are much better value than those I have mentioned here.

:lol: I have a Daiwa Saltiga, lovely reel, really smooth clutch, very well made, just the job for Roosterfish, wahoo etc but not needed for flounders and dogs. :lol:

could manual pickup be the old fashioned FPU (finger pick up) where you manually place the line behind a small pin or roller on the bit the "bail arm" goes on ???

i have an 90's intrepid here with a FPU (they did a full bail too) so perhaps they are still fashionable in the USA?

i remember 20 years ago using a mitchell on chesil with the same bail it was bloody annoying!!!

No Mate, The bale arm is a full bale arm, but instead of being closed by a tripped spring, you have to flip it over by hand. I believe it is done that way to eliminate something that could go wrong but considering the price of the reels I would have thought that they could have made a pretty reliable self closing bale arm. After all, the makers of much cheaper reels have been making them for years.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.