catching pike to win matches

Bradford Angler

Last week I took part in one of the norths largest matches and probably one of the best winning purses to boot. The winner walked away with 1,300 pounds for his winning 29lb which consisted of 8 pike.

Whether pike in matches is right or wrong - is another matter which I am not debating here (of course as ever not wanting to cause controversy ).

My question is - how do you catch 8 pike in 6 hours from only 30yds of river - which is the distance to the next guy. Obviously, we will never know this guys exact tactic . . but I woundered if any of the pike guys could help me out.

Can you glean anthing from what I have given so far . . would it be chuck out a dead/roach bait and sit on it, or would it be place a roach bait in mid water and keep firing maggots over it to draw the others - bring in the pike and let it root out the individual baited fish ?

obviously the water would have to be pretty well populated with pike (it is actually, over the years there has been an explosion of trout to feed on) but wondered if you could enlighten me to the method you might think could make up this weight.

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

I had rather more than 8 pike in rather less than 6 hours today, all within 30 yards of each other, all on a spoon! But that really doesn't help.

No, pike are not suited to match fishing, plain and simple!

I have, in my pre-enlightened days, fished a match where exactly the same thing has happened. Only I did predict, correctly, where the fish would come from, and it wasn't my peg!

So, luck of the draw is a major componant, as is ability to profit from that draw. Knowing how best to fish that particular type of river helps too!

trebles were not allowed, so that really rules out catching on lures or a spoon I would think. Otherwise I am sure there would ahve been storied of 8 caught and at least that amount lost off. So one deadbait/roach in that area could amass so many fish without anything else to draw the pike in ?

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Yes, one area can have a feature that will hold the pike, whilst other areas will be barren.

Yes, lures can be used with only a single, and very effectively too. I use barbless circle sea hooks.

Another factor could be presentation. If the river was tidal then perhaps the required presentation differed from the more usual still water technique. Just laying a dead on the bottom, if that was what you were doing, probably wasn't good enough on the day.

It isn't uncommon that only very localised action will take place with pike, whether it be in a match or otherwise.

Another factor could be choice of deadbait. What works on one water bombs on another.

I have found a keepnet full of roach to be a wonderful attractant!

[ 26. September 2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Bradford Angler, do you even know whether the winning angler fished deliberately for pike from the start? I'd never heard of that in a general match. In fact, in most of the pike matches in newbury where I am, even though the general fishing is good, they only seem to catch a couple of pike and most people blank!

john clarke

I once fished a match on an Essex lake and targetted the pike with worm. I caught two and beat the next weight of caster caught roach by about 3lb. Unfortunetly they changed the rules at the weigh in (very cliquey) and the match was no longer 'all-in'. Anyway, illustrates that pike can be targetted in ways other than the obvious.

Dave

Before entering ANY match always check the rules and regualtions, also the local bye laws if fishing in a different county etc.

In most matches Pike do not count but in some they do.

My own club matches have floating baits banned.

Barbus

how could they change the rules at the end of the match?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

It was a long while ago and I was a 14 year old who'd embarrassed these local stars (they were undoubtedly better anglers than me but I was almost certain I'd catch pike to worm because I'd done it in pleasure sessions.). At the weigh in it was just agreed amongst the clique that 'all-in' didn't include pike. I didn't argue because I was intimidated I guess.

Cheers

Dave