Self catering UK country holidays

rarepleasures

I'm after some recommendations for self-catering holidays (lodges or cottages preferred) in the UK with fishing attached.

The other half does not fish and neither of us can drive so once on site there should be plenty to keep her busy, as she's an amateur photographer she likes lots of wildlife.

We've been to Woodlakes in Norfolk and the Old Gravels Pits near Allerthorpe both of which have large grounds for her to wander round happily snapping.

Ideas please. Thanks.

Tony

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm after some recommendations for self-catering holidays (lodges or cottages preferred) in the UK with fishing attached.

The other half does not fish and neither of us can drive so once on site there should be plenty to keep her busy, as she's an amateur photographer she likes lots of wildlife.

We've been to Woodlakes in Norfolk and the Old Gravels Pits near Allerthorpe both of which have large grounds for her to wander round happily snapping.

Ideas please. Thanks.

We've been here a few times:

http://www.yorklakesidelodges.co.uk/

Close to York - 15 mins on the park n' ride from the Tesco's 5 mins from the site. You do have to work for your fish though....

Len

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We have a number of properties within walking distance of good fishing.

Example = www.norfolkcottages.co.uk/cottages/1060

Lots for familys to do in norfolk especially if you have a car available. Hopefully you will find something!

Here is a really nice fishery and cottages, it’s based on a working farm, really nice countryside and tons of wildlife.

The fishing is great, it’s a mixed fishery, Tench, carp, roach (to over a lb) Barbel, Big perch, (5lb 2 oz) biggest so far from Morton springs. Rudd, bream. The fish are the most WONDERFUL colored fish you will ever see, the owner (the farmer 87 YO) puts it down to the spring water, its lightly fished with most anglers targeting the Carp (bigest27lb, average 7lb)

I fish it for the perch and Roach.

The photos on the website are old it has matured a lot since the photo was taken; the fishery was dug 17 years ago.

Interestingly, no Barbel were ever stocked, there are a good number of barbel in the fishery all around the 6-7lb mark, this farm is in the middle of know were and access is only throw the farm, the farmer thinks they have got there themselves as they are all the same year class or they were in with the carp when they were stocked originally, never the less they are fighting fit and seem to love the clear spring water.

The area is very peaceful, no traffic sounds, plenty of sheep and some of the best looking cattle you will ever see, he raises and old English bread which are pure white with black noses and ears.

http://users.fwi.co.uk/roylands/index.htm

http://users.fwi.co.uk/roylands/mortspr.htm

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Ideas please. Thanks.

hi my wife and i are in same situation as you ie she dosnt fish .we visited a place in mabelthorpe called grange farm,it as caravans for hireand b+b in there farm house.there are 2 lakes both are well stocked and i had good fishing in both ,1 was fairly new and was mainly small carp,the other contained much bigger fish.the farm is a working one so your wife should be kept busy also it is only 2 mile into the nice sea side resort of mabel thorpe.i now this is a long way for you to travel but it would suit you ideally ,you can litteraly cast from your accomadation to the ponds.they have a web site if you are ionterested,cheers steve

We've been here a few times:

http://www.yorklakesidelodges.co.uk/

Close to York - 15 mins on the park n' ride from the Tesco's 5 mins from the site. You do have to work for your fish though....

Len

we used to go to York Lakeside Lodges all the time, but the in-laws switched to Woodlakes for the better scenery. YLL is great if you fancy visiting York and the surrounding countryside with just a bit of fishing on the side, but as its situated on the back of a housing estate it doesn't just doesn't cut it for an all day experience.

Tony