A wonderful evening on the stream

Anderoo

The offer's still open if you fancy a trip westwards :) I agree, it's the nicest time of the year to be by the river, but I'd still fight to keep the closed season. Being out with a fly rod makes it a bit special.

See you at Wingham for the pin-tench challenge!

I shall take you up on a trip westward bound at some point this Summer if thats ok. I think those little Brown trout will have to wait for another close season. I've been so mega busy in the last month or two, it's giving me the creeps. It's also getting in the way of my Wingham warm up's. I'm afraid I'll arrive well short of match fitness.

I don't know about the 'Tench Pin Challenge' I can imagine it might turn out to be 'The How Many New Swear Words Can DanT Invent In A Weekend Challenge' or 'The Bruised Knuckles Derby'.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shall take you up on a trip westward bound at some point this Summer if thats ok. I think those little Brown trout will have to wait for another close season. I've been so mega busy in the last month or two, it's giving me the creeps. It's also getting in the way of my Wingham warm up's. I'm afraid I'll arrive well short of match fitness.

I don't know about the 'Tench Pin Challenge' I can imagine it might turn out to be 'The How Many New Swear Words Can DanT Invent In A Weekend Challenge' or 'The Bruised Knuckles Derby'.

I'm thoroughly unprepared too. Instead of getting everything ready last night I went fly fishing again :rolleyes: The trout were going potty for the mayflies, some even jumping out of the water after them - but the wind made it very tricky with light gear. I managed a couple of lovely trout though. They were very spooky this time - I think that because anglers are so rare there, fishing again just 2 days later is a bit too much. I need to ration it more and stop being greedy ;)

They'll have a week off now anyway because I've got to go to that horrible commercial in Kent :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm thoroughly unprepared too. Instead of getting everything ready last night I went fly fishing again :rolleyes: The trout were going potty for the mayflies, some even jumping out of the water after them - but the wind made it very tricky with light gear. I managed a couple of lovely trout though. They were very spooky this time - I think that because anglers are so rare there, fishing again just 2 days later is a bit too much. I need to ration it more and stop being greedy ;)

They'll have a week off now anyway because I've got to go to that horrible commercial in Kent :D

Good going on the Trout. I'm envious.

I've got a little 6ft brook rod but I so rarely get the chance to use it these days. It nearly got an airing a week or so ago on the Upper Bure but alas no.

I'm imagining Saturday morning to be a hellish example of how not to prepare for a weekends fishing. I've also just worked out that it's nearly a year since I last fished a stillwater, my first thoughts on Saturday lunchtime may well be a heady mix of awe/fear and confusion.

Good going on the Trout. I'm envious.

I've got a little 6ft brook rod but I so rarely get the chance to use it these days. It nearly got an airing a week or so ago on the Upper Bure but alas no.

I'm imagining Saturday morning to be a hellish example of how not to prepare for a weekends fishing. I've also just worked out that it's nearly a year since I last fished a stillwater, my first thoughts on Saturday lunchtime may well be a heady mix of awe/fear and confusion.

Ah, but once you've settled down and everything's fallen into place and you're at peace with the world, you'll wonder why it's taken you a year.

Actually, 'a heady mix of awe/fear and confusion' does accurately describe a Wingham BBQ... :lol:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Awesome post mate.

I only wish that the streams around here had chub of even that size to target at any time of the year! still ive got the grayling to keep me happy..

another reminder that i must get a fly rod soon, especially living in prime fly fishing part of the world.

Just over four weeks to go before i can fish 'properly' again, its absolutely killing me at the moment, canal or nothing for me!

I tackled up my little 6'6" #2 rod

I've been bequeathed 2 rods, neither of which I had used till the other day. One is hash (can't do the symbol on my keyboard) 6, which I think means size 6 line, which is what I have on my reel, from memory. The other has no markings, but I didn't get on too well with the size 6 line the other day, and I think it may need something more heavy. I suppose there's no way to deduce the right size line other than trial and error?

john clarke

I've been bequeathed 2 rods, neither of which I had used till the other day. One is hash (can't do the symbol on my keyboard) 6, which I think means size 6 line, which is what I have on my reel, from memory. The other has no markings, but I didn't get on too well with the size 6 line the other day, and I think it may need something more heavy. I suppose there's no way to deduce the right size line other than trial and error?

Is the line on the reel weight forward or double tapered? One's easier to cast and the other is better for presentation but I don't remember which way round it is. If the line has been on the reel for a while it may have coiled making it difficult to cast. Try the line you have on the unmarked rod first, it should be safe unless the rod is obviously very lightweight. It's been a while since I fly fished but from memory the rod rating is approximate and has some latitude, a #6 rod will cope with lines between #5 and #7.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• 3 weeks later...