Scottish sea anglers "worth millions" part2

Jaffa

Sad to see Newt have to lock the original thread; been on here a few years and rarely seen him do that.

The parties involved (not one of which actually live in Scotland or are effected by whats being discussed) should imho take a bit of a deep breath and wonder if all the personal abuse of people with different views might just be getting in the way of thinking about the topic?

News Release From The Scottish Sea Angling Conservation Network (SSACN)

Click here to view the full article

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian,

I appreciate that elasmobranches don't feature in your fishing world but how much of that is down to the depletion of the stocks. The rays, skate porgie and spurdog used to be as common on the Scottish east coast as they were on the west coast. In fact the majority of the porgie landings came from your coast.

The 0 porbeagle TAC has also stopped visiting nations like the faroe islanders from fishing in Scottish waters

Fish stocks are so low on the west coast that the 25% ray bycatch limit has stopped a targeted fishery because there simply isn't enough of anything else to make up the other 75% It doesn't go far enough IMO but it's a start

Elasmobranches will always be caught as bycatch but the prevention of a targeted fishery has and will continue to reduce commercial catch levels.

Sharp protection is a relatively new thing and there is a long way to go but hopefully the community plan of action will tighten up the loopholes and implement sustainable shark management

Ian, the fact that most porgies have been taken on the east coast just reinforces how this is not legislation to to good but just more legislation. The Faroese you speak about do indeed land in East coast ports from time to time (and take sheeps heads back which raises an eyebrow or two) but they are here to land not fish. Wheres your evidence for some kind of problem with the Faroese?

Most every porgie i saw caught on the east coast was a rare incidental bycatch; a very rare thing indeed. Easy enough for some to spin that out.

You maybe need to rethink your view on what a 25 % bycatch limit actually means. To someone sitting in a warm office its one thing but might be different if if you have the family home tied to its meaning ;) Either way it aint gonna work.

Chris

Guest challenge

It was a shame Jaffa; I thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread as well.

Some very enlightening opinions.

Regards.

It was a shame Jaffa; I thoroughly enjoyed reading the thread as well.

Some very enlightening opinions.

Regards.

I thought Worms gave a good account. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

It's nice to think of the issue here as 'Scottish'.

You've been abroad, though, ... and it's global, I'm afraid.

"I'm afraid" is meant literally.

Extraction of fishes must be reduced .... no good talking MLSs or net mesh sizes anymore.

I fear we'd better set aside some very large portions of our seas for the cod, plaice, sole and 'addicks to go forth and multiply.

No good digging trenches over the N Sea anymore, 'cos someone's did it a few days ago.

I think it's time (we know!) that the legislators really understood what's happening.

Unfortunately the under 10s will tell you what's happening, as will I and my pals (RSAs), and the scientists seem to corroborate.

I'm sure Defra would appreciate any input.

Solutions on a postcard, please.

<_<

Edited by H.A.

Extraction of fishes must be reduced .... no good talking MLSs or net mesh sizes anymore.

I fear we'd better set aside some very large portions of our seas for the cod, plaice, sole and 'addicks to go forth and multiply.

No good digging trenches over the N Sea anymore, 'cos someone's did it a few days ago.

I think it's time (we know!) that the legislators really understood what's happening.

Unfortunately the under 10s will tell you what's happening, as will I and my pals (RSAs), and the scientists seem to corroborate.

<_<

Hi HA,

Thanks for your opinion but fwiw Defra are not the people to contact on this, as they cover England and Wales. The legislators you refer to are who ? MY understanding is that it depends on the issue; some can be decided locally (eg the Scottish parliment, some at UK level, some at the EU palace). Which legislators should i make my view known to about Sea anglings contribution to the Scottish economy?

The "under tens" is a term i understand but was born through regulation, and imho is about to pay the price for past wooley thinking . It aint a term/class, whatever, that i imagine having a big effect on the politics of areas genuinely dependant on fishing.

Fluffy nonsense. Just mo like..

Chris

<_<

Hello Ha

Have you got any creditable evidence that cod,plaice,sole and addicks would benefit from such a scheme, as yet I have seen none, nor have I seen any reason such fish are in need of such a scheme.

I've seen plenty of evidence that the management industry are in need of such schemes.

The legislators know exactly what is happening and the scientists only corroborate with them that benefits scientists.

It's my experience that Defra don't appreciate any input as it generally upsets their own agenda.

I fish to live and live to fish.

............the scientists only corroborate with them that benefits scientists...........

Not true. Scientists are frequently paid to prove or disprove theories within close parameters. Scientific theories don't allow for components not required in the theory (but may well be noted as potential issues by the scientists).The results thus produced are frequently 'misquoted' or incompletely quoted by the person(s) paying for the survey.

Scientific papers presenting the detail of such experiments, methods and results are rigorously peer reviewed to very high standards. And, if seen to be presented non-scientifically or with a non-scientific bias, will not be accepted.

The Krebs report on badgers is a perfect example of a good scientific survey horribly incompletely quoted by the Government because it didn't say exactly what the Govt. wanted it to say so they 'cherry-picked' the bits they wanted!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I live at Hayling Island ....

I saw what the under 10s did to the plaice and codling in'87 - 90 here.

The fish stocks weren't the problem.

The destruction of the habitat was the problem.

25sq miles of barren sea ( The Gobi Desert)

... trawlers, I'm afraid.

Nothing I can do .... but I'm working now on MCZs ...

B)