Trouble brewing?

gozzer

i have seen people saying the guy deserves all kinds

seems people want to fight ignorance with violence

i think coming up with a solution to the problem and recommending it to him might be a better thing to do rather than wasting time battering with him abuse,

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he is no better than a Nazi....

Don't know much about Nazis then, do you?

He may have been out of line (was out of line, in fact) but to use that to conclude he is on par with a group that routinely killed off mass numbers of members of groups they didn't like is more than a bit much and tends to trivialize the crimes the Nazis committed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That's why I like AN so much, most of the opinions on here are thought out, and discussed. Even if an opinion goes against popular thought, it's considered and discussed, not like some, where the poster is 'brow beaten' into submision or forced off the site.

Good to hear Gozzer, let's put it to the test.

If we take his statements about Polish people stealing his fish on face value then I agree completely with his actions. He accepts that running a fishery will cost him money in lost stock, be that theft or deaths. I suspect all fishery managers build in contingency for such events.

This guy is experiencing another loss, bulk theft. He has found that these thefts are being carried out by Polish folk who are known to take coarse fish for the table. He can spend more time policing, personally or via a bailiff both of which will cost him money or he can stop Polish people from fishing his water. The risk is that he'll p*ss off genuine pleasure angling Poles and lose their revenue, those after his fish will realise they've been rumbled and move on to another water. Clearly there can't be many of the former. Who's actually complaining about this? Polish recreational fisherman or the media?

If it was any other nationality I'm sure he'd do exactly the same, he's protecting his livelihood after all. If I ran a fishery I'd decide who fishes there.

His only mistake was to be so obvious.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

OK, a more serious response.

His 'only crime' was to break the law, i.e. discriminate against racial groups. He can't complain about theft in one breath and then break race laws in the next. That is what makes him (in my humble opinion) an idiot.

If he wants to ban theives, obviously that's fine. But I thought in this country we were innocent until proven guilty? So even if some Polish people had stolen fish from his fishery, it does not follow that every Polish angler is a thief. That assumption is what makes him racist.

A parallel strikes me, with the London bombings. I lived in London at the time and had to keep getting the tube to work. Security was stepped up massively and we were all subject to suspicion and checks. I suppose it would have made more sense to just shake down anyone who looked a bit muslim?

A solution? Make it absolutely clear that the fish are not for taking, step up baliffing, give everyone the benefit of the doubt, ban and (where possible) prosecute offenders.

Gozzer, never look over the fence, there are bad people there! ;)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If we take his statements about Polish people stealing his fish on face value then I agree completely with his actions. He accepts that running a fishery will cost him money in lost stock, be that theft or deaths. I suspect all fishery managers build in contingency for such events.

This guy is experiencing another loss, bulk theft. He has found that these thefts are being carried out by Polish folk who are known to take coarse fish for the table. He can spend more time policing, personally or via a bailiff both of which will cost him money or he can stop Polish people from fishing his water. The risk is that he'll p*ss off genuine pleasure angling Poles and lose their revenue, those after his fish will realise they've been rumbled and move on to another water. Clearly there can't be many of the former. Who's actually complaining about this? Polish recreational fisherman or the media?

If it was any other nationality I'm sure he'd do exactly the same, he's protecting his livelihood after all. If I ran a fishery I'd decide who fishes there.

His actions were totally wrong, he should have phoned the police, which it doesn't sound like he did(Thames Valley Police said they had had no reports of any incidents at the site ). All he has done is get himself in trouble and like you say moved the problem to another water.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I don't think that was his only mistake.

Suppose he caught some anglers from Oxfordshire pinching fish. Would he be right to ban all the rest of you?

He's just bought into the hysterical preachings of some who should know better. Probably trying to get a bit of publicity for his water as well.

The sad thing is the AT and the EA seem to have bought into it as well. Unless it's a way of diverting attention away from other 'problems'. :rolleyes:

See Rusty, nobody's shouted you down......yet. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I don't think that was his only mistake.

Suppose he caught some anglers from Oxfordshire pinching fish. Would he be right to ban all the rest of you?

He's just bought into the hysterical preachings of some who should know better. Probably trying to get a bit of publicity for his water as well.

The sad thing is the AT and the EA seem to have bought into it as well. Unless it's a way of diverting attention away from other 'problems'. :rolleyes:

John.

Some good points there John and you are probably correct.

Rusty.I totally agree that people breaking the law/rules should be caught and punnished,that is totally the guys right.Trouble is hes not doing himself or anyone any favours with the stance hes taken,In effect he has (as is often the case in this world) taken the "easy option".Blanket banning a particular group (I dont really care what colour or race or whatever they are) is a very good "easy option" admitedly but he should make sure the group he targets is the correct one ie "rule breakers" not "possible rule breakers".In effect all hes done is pee off the inocent and even more selfishly moved the problem else where.

He is the one who decided to run a fishery,he is the one who made the rules,he should get off his lazy backside and deal directly with the problem.In not saying he should physically confront any rule breakers etc but why has he not reported it to the police? Whether they would have/could have doine anything about it is debatable but it would surely have been the most logical step?

Our society is full of restrictions placed upon sensible people because of the idiot few.The "easy option" but is it the right one?

Ive been discriminated against (to a degree) most of my life through one reason and another and can assure you nothing is more annoying than being "labelled"

As John said how would you feel (honestly) about being greeted with " Sorry mate you cant fish here as I had some guys from Oxfordshire break the rules here once"?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There's a few bitten lips on those desperate to do so though :rolleyes: The 'establishment' is closing in.

I don't think that a comparison with muslims is valid at all. The tiny minority are extremists but it is known that that’s just what they are…a minority.

This guy is facing a different situation. Within his fishery it may be that the majority of Polish people who fish there do take fish (that doesn’t mean all Polish people steal fish BTW).

So he has a practical problem.

1. Does he continue to catch them in the act, restrain them, wait for the authorities to arrive and then instigate prosecution proceedings?

2. Does he incur the costs and hassle of employing more bailiffs?

3. Does he simply solve the problem at source and stop them fishing there?

In an ideal world 1 would be the best bet but can you really see that happening? I don’t think so. 2 seems a bit rich given that we’re in the middle of a recession and he appears to have identified a responsible group.

3 doesn’t make him a racist. Presumably before fish started going missing he allowed Polish people to fish there? If he was a racist he wouldn't have done that surely.

Is alcohol still banned at footie matches? Were all footie fans drunken troublemakers?

Ding ding

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Rusty its what you quit rightly describe that really gets me down! Yes I think the guy should take responsibility and step up to the mark by upping his baillifing and punnishing the offenders directly but as you say it just wont happen.

So why has this general attitude of taking the "easy option" and adopting a "not in my back yard" attitude came about? Why have so many just rolled over and become as bad (in my mind) as all the idiots?

Maybe just maybe thats because thats how the powers to be and money men WE have put in charge of this country want it to be? Maybe people have just become sick of trying to do the right thing and still getting no result because of lack of support from the "system"?

Like I said earlier even though I would like to think he should have contacted the police would they/could they have done anything? in fact they may no doubt suffer from the same frustration of not being backed by the system as well so theyve given up?

I keep saying it and would dearly love to argue against your opinions (but they are true and backed up by what we all see on a daily basis now) but the big problem with the "easy option" is that it lets the rule/law breaker/idiots get away without being checked/punnished.Like any problem taking the "easy option" is just sticking your head in the sand and letting the problem grow.

We really need to stop being so wet and become a bit more proacrtive.We all need to start descriminating but against the correct group and that group cant be identified by race,colour or creed.That group in my mind are the idiots (I keep having to use that word because the censor wouldnt let me use the correct one).

When I was in the security industry a favourite maxim was "What colour is a c--t (the word I want to use)" the answer being that they come in all colours...........................

Also another "maybe",has the guy actually caught people nicking fish or is this just another case of jumping on the band wagon? Might explain why the Police have never been contacted and yet another case of some one just giving the customers what they (or he thinks ) they want?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!