Light lure rod options

Ken L

i only bank fish and i much prefer short (5 to 6 and a half feet) rods, i rarely feel the need to cast further than a short rod will and my back and arms feel much less fatigued after a few hours casting

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in Lathams at Potter Ham today. They had the Fox, and as Gerry says, probably not as sensitive as suggested, but nevertheless, an excellent pike rod. They also had an 8' Samurai, no contest, at under £50 the Samurai is a real gem! Know which I'd settle for having now played with them side by side.

Many thank's for the info guy's. I'll do a quick reccie on the Daiwa and Drennan rods before making a final decision on the old fela's birthday pressie.

For the record, My current tool of choice for light (not UL) lure fishing on the river is a GLoomis GL3. At 6'6", it's long enough to give me the tip speed for distance casting but short enough to work in confind spaces - and in my opinion, this is a far more important atribute than the ability to reach over bankside vegetation when fishing rivers like the Teme or Severn.

The only thing I would change about this rod would be to add another 6" and a fraction more reserve power 'cause those double figure pike that grab spinners in fast water do take a bit of stopping on light gear.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L - might be worth trying to either find a ready-made rod or else get one made for you using either the S842-2-GL3 or the S842-2-IMX blanks. IMX is a little more money but worth it.

Both are 7' 2piece rated for 1/16 - 5/16oz lures and 4-8lb line.

Or since you want a little more beef, S843-2-GL3 is also a 7ft 2piece but 0.381 butt rather than 0.32 for the S842-2 and lures 1/8 - 3/8 on 4-10lb line.

[ 16. May 2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

GlennB (anyone) - interesting point about problems with short rods for shore work.  Could you explain?  Serious question since I really can't figure out how a 5ft rod would be a problem in places where an 8 or 10 or 12 ft rod would work well.

Well, if you have a 5' rod and 5' of lilly pads in front of you it's pretty hard to control a decent fish up to the landing net without it getting majorly tangled up in the vegetation.

And if the rod locks up in the effort to raise the fish you're really in trouble. Down to wading in or hand-lining the fish (and weed), with all the attendant dangers, as far as I can see.

Though, to tell the truth, after one such experience with an 8lb pike on a 6' Rapala "1/8 to 1/2oz" rod I just gave up such adventures. I fish a longer and meatier rod or avoid such swims if I want to use the light gear. Maybe I have missed the point or am lacking in some skill or knowledge? Dunno.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

LOL - I see what you mean. I'd not want to fish with 5ft of weed in front of me with any length rod and certainly not with a very light action, short rod.

I was thinking mainly in terms of a rod/reel that would be gentle on arthritic hands for casting light weight lures.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Five feet rods and five feet of lilly pads, not quite as simple as that! Five feet rods, plus three feet of arms more like. A seven to eight foot rod, plus arms, even 1/8 to 1/2 jobbies, should cope with most pike, even if it does get a tad exciting! Having tried a four foot rod, in my callow youth, I agree that a rod under six feet is probably not on for piking.

Newt. Some of those prioces are a bit keen. I think I'll bookmark the site for when the time comes to replace my rod.

Glenn. As said, short rods are great for the waters that I fish. On the avon or similar rivers, I tend to move up to an eight footer. If nothing else, this gives me more reach for fishing right allong the sedges and the ability to lift the heads of any fish that try to burrow into the weeds.

Really light rods of 4'6" or so are no good for me on moving water other than brooks because even a moderate chub of a couple of pounds will overload the rod in the current of a river like the Severn.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. I ordered the Fox rod and it sucks !

The butt section is 9" too long so I can't pass it in front of my body.

The stated lure weight range is wildly optimistic.

Although it's described as havin a fast action with reserve power it the butt, it's as soft as *****.

In short, I hate it and it's gotta go back.

On the plus side, I also ordered one of Harris's "Trippa" 5'9" three piece travel rods to replace a rod that I had bust by a fish on my last visit to India.

The stated ability to cast 40g lures might be a bit optimistic and there are a couple more rings than I'd like (This will cut down casting distance a fraction but is a necessary compromise to retain action on a three piece rod)but the rod appears to be the absolute business and packs down to just 2 feet.

It will definatly be comming with me on my next trip.

Not an easy thing finding a suitable light lure rod on the internet without being able to flex the blank and check the action. Unfortunately I think I have the perfect rod, unfortunate because ron thompson no longer make them, its one of the gladiator series which sadly disappeared off the shelves last year, thats why I didn't recommend it first time around. You might try ringing Glasgow Angling Centre or any of the Ron Thompson main agents to see if they have any Gladiators gathering dust in the storeroom. Really a nice series of light strong fast action carbon rods and less than thirty quid. Other than that I can only suggest St Croix or Loomis at ten times the price.

But at least you now know why Harris have half price sales :)

[ 28. May 2005, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'