Do we not have an Ashes thread?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Do you think that Gilchrist wants something from Warne"

could be onto something there mate....

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

We'll be praying for a draw, unless Flintoff & Co get the game by the scruff of the neck early doors tomorrow. Last time the Aussies put pressure on us in our second innings, it was more like the England of old - nervy.

I'd hate to be in the skipper's shoes. Sometimes today, I just thought that we were setting too defensive a field. But now, it's set to be another nailbiter. What a fantastic series.

Wouldn't it be great if our top order got stuck into Warne like the Aussies did with Giles?

Go on England - you deserve the plaudits.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

The $64000 question? Does Ponting declare after lunch when the Aussies will be around the same total as England? Hoping to bowl England out for a low score and leave the Aussies a low run chase....

OR Does he bat on to the end of tomorrow (assuming 100 overs, good weather and the Aussies are not all out) and go for 600+ runs, and leave England in on the last day chasing 250 in 100 overs with Warne to Bowl?

I am concerned about either strategy as England struggled (under pressure) at TB in the 2nd innings. If England fail to make 250 in their 2nd innings then frankly the Aussies could take it. We need Strauss to perform well again (cos you can guarantee Vaughan and Bell won't). If Ponting bats through tomorrow, Freddie (who is going to be hurting by the end of tomorrow - I suspect he will end up bowling a -lot- of overs), might not be on his greatest batting form either....

Suffice to say it's going to be a nailbiting two days and theres a Grand Prix in the middle of it all (come on Alonso!).

Ian W

Bad light stopped play! What a terrible decision by the umpires - in fact one that may be contrary to the rules. How can it be dangerous to the batsman when facing the spinners that the umpires insisted upon? As a former opening batsman myself (albeit not at first class level) I just don't see this. And I played in the days before all the modern safety gear! Dangerous against fast bowlers, yes; against spinners, no way!

Yes, I want England to win, but not in such a controversial fashion. I also want to be entertained - and this series has certainly done that.

If I were an Aussie I'd be mightilly aggrieved. If there's no further play today both the match and the Ashes are as good as over.

Getting back to the cricket itself, what an excellent bowling performance by England! Granted the conditions are good for the bowlers, but there was hardly a loose ball!

[ 11. September 2005, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Totally agree with all that Steve, very dissapointing after such a brilliant morning. I'd have thought the confidence and momentum from that we would have carried on.

It's not as if we were having trouble with the bat and were actually doing fairly well. I can't realy see how he can take them off half way through an over, surely the light can't fade that quickly after 3 balls.

I think they should only be allowed off when the opposition take a wicket after they've requested to go off.

HB.

I think at test level this is a big argument to have floodlights for this kind of thing. I know it slightly alters the game but for the sake of TV, the spectators and the result it might be worth considering.

I can understand why England took the light, but I again don't understand why it was offered. Spinners bowling at 45mph present no risk to the batsman and the laws about light are about SAFETY not whether the batsman are disadvantaged by the weather conditions (which they obviously are slightly, BUT weather is part of the game).

It's ruined what could have been a very classic match esp. towards the end of tomorrow.

Ian W