Cutting Edge Web Technology Gives Sea Users A Voice

Good advice, Challenge.

Don't suppose you could supply details of the mechanics of getting elected?

There is no mechanism as far as I'm aware, and we're not polled as members of the Angling Trust for our opinions.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll also add here that I have no interest whatsoever in getting involved in angling politics. It irritates the crap out of me. I just want to be left alone to go fishing, it's as simple as that. I'd join an organisation that fought for my rights to do so.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The threats that we face now are largely the result of various campaigns and crusades by our so called representatives. Over the years they have actively promoted the sea angling licence, MPA's, catch and release, bag limits and, worst of all, the RSA strategy and all the rubbish contained within it. I am doing exactly what you condone, which is speaking out while we still have a chance of doing something about it. The difference between me and you, though, is that I can see where the biggest threats are likely to come from. There is another side to what people are being lead to believe.

When you've read up on it all, come back and tell me that I'm wrong. And why.

So no new legislation affecting you then.

I probably won't have the time to read all of it before the Marine Bill comes in, by which time it'll be irrelevant.

As it's happening anyway the only means of influence is from the inside now.

Glenn K doesn't think much of BASS. What do you think of BASS and their boss who's the RSA rep on the steering group?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

So no new legislation affecting you then.

I probably won't have the time to read all of it before the Marine Bill comes in, by which time it'll be irrelevant.

As it's happening anyway the only means of influence is from the inside now.

Glenn K doesn't think much of BASS. What do you think of BASS and their boss who's the RSA rep on the steering group?

You sound like the type of person who wouldn't believe that a Tiger has teeth until it bit you on the arrse.

You're right about influence from the inside now. Only trouble is, most of those doing the influencing aren't representative of the sea angling population.

I couldn't give a monkeys what Glenn or anyone else thinks about BASS. The same as they shouldn't give a monkeys what I think. But as you've asked; I consider BASS to be a small society made up, mostly, of anglers who like bass and fishing for them. Among their numbers are a fair few, of what I would describe as, bass fanciers. There are a few committee men and a few who are more interested in using the society as a vehicle for the own agendas. (I can think of two who are no more bass angler than I am surgeon.) There are also a lot of very knowledgable and dedicated bass anglers among the membership. I find Peter McConnell a decent enough bloke. I think he enjoys his position as chairman. I agree with some things he says, and disagree with others. In my opinion, he is in a position where he has to try to please the BASS membership - he is their chairman, after all - and that could have an effect on what stance he takes on other matters outside the society. I was a member of bass for a few years, but let my membership expire this year because I felt that the society had too much influence for something so small, that had become so far removed from the views of grass roots sea anglers.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

You're right about influence from the inside now. Only trouble is, most of those doing the influencing aren't representative of the sea angling population.

So wouldn't an email or a letter to Peter McConnell, voicing your fears or desires go some way towards getting representative views forward? It's now that I think all the pressure should be applied to reinforce RSA status (as sport anglers) to fight the "Recreational sea fishing" label of article 47.

It's in places such as this and other sea fishing forums that (for example) petitions can be used to gather names and then presented to McConnell. I know that similar have been compiled for sending to No. 10 but this is where "representative anglers" need to be sending them to the steering group as well.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

So wouldn't an email or a letter to Peter McConnell, voicing your fears or desires go some way towards getting representative views forward? It's now that I think all the pressure should be applied to reinforce RSA status (as sport anglers) to fight the "Recreational sea fishing" label of article 47.

What a good idea! Ha ha ha. :rolleyes:

P.S. Could you tell me what the difference is between a sport angler, and an angler?

It's in places such as this and other sea fishing forums that (for example) petitions can be used to gather names and then presented to McConnell. I know that similar have been compiled for sending to No. 10 but this is where "representative anglers" need to be sending them to the steering group as well.

How many anglers do you think have even heard of Peter Maconnell?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

What a good idea! Ha ha ha. :rolleyes:

P.S. Could you tell me what the difference is between a sport angler, and an angler?

I put the sport in to make it obvious that I was talking about recreational angling as opposed to recreational subsistence fishing......The whole reason for the problem that's arisen with article 47

How many anglers do you think have even heard of Peter Maconnell?

Very few, I hadn't until I read through the blurb. But that's the whole idea behind a petition isn't it? Get somebody in the know to produce the petition to send to the person nobody knows about who could represent "average" RSA views.

You obviously value your angling, as do I. I'm just a bit surprised that you are resigned to let whatever may happen (good or bad) wash over you without considering getting your tuppence worth in before hand.

I'm not.

Do you think that some contact with the steering group would be a good idea?

If not directly, what do you suggest in ways of getting anglers' voices heard prior to any change?