Last minute Wingham notes

Steve Burke

Dant, if you bring Great-grandmother's book in Norfolk dialect, I'll see you Sunday and do a swop !

I'll also have signed copies of Angling Vagabond (@ £11-50) for anyone else who wants a copy.

I won't be fishing - just taking photos and putting faces to names.

I won't be fishing, either. I'll just be setting up a ton of gear, throwing out three baited rods and laying back.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve you mentioned a sudden drop in water temperature would this be down to only the surface layers getting the benfit of this last couple of weeks of warm weather and as soon as the weather dissapears the surface layers cool off again?

Is the temp much different to last time this year after that prolonged warm April?

I'm glad you mentioned the need not to bait so heavily, I can cancel the feed lorry now..

What time are the BBQ's on Saturday and Sunday?

Really looking forward to it despite my complete lack of tackle organisation not helped by the fact that I'm currently 125 miles away from it. Cue Saturday morning scramble...

The water temperature will of course have dropped partly because of the lack of sun and partly because the air is cooler. Plus as you say the deepest water may not have fully warmed up yet.

It hasn't been hot at Wingham recently, only warm due to the winds coming off the nearly sea, that is relatively cold at this time of year. However it hasn't been as bad as some springs (like April last year when it was very warm & sunny inland and downright cool at Wingham!)

Thanks to the recent warmth the tench are just beginning to show some spawn, although their nuptials aren't usually until the first week in July at Wingham (last year it was the third week). The Wingham bream normally spawn early June and so should be almost at their heaviest by now. The perch have already spawned and hopefully will be having their usual post-spawn nosh-up!

As per the notes everyone should have received, BBQs start at approx 1pm. However the weather may interfere with the exact timing. I don't envy poor Peggy!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just heard from Glyn. He's had 11 tench to 8-14. The smallest female went 7-00 and the average was just under 7-14½.

He's packing up shortly to help Peggy in the clubhouse. One new BBQ needs assembling, plus a gazebo needs putting up to keep Peggy dry when she's cooking. Then the whole clubhouse needs spring cleaning.

Outside, the entire Coarse Lake still needs mowing, plus some swims need some wood shavings. I'll be off to the tackle shops and making up long bobbins then over to Wingham to lend a hand, including pegging out.

Thank goodness we're not babysitting next week!

Edit note: total updated as Glyn had another just as he packed.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve Campbell's kindly providing free bacon sarnies on Saturday morning.

However Peggy will need the kitchen by 9am to get everything ready for the BBQ as it'll take longer than usual if the weather forecast is right. So please do keep out from under her feet from then on!

Steve

We have full kitchen facilities in the van as well, so If Peggy needs a hand I will gladly assist.

Also I have just bought one of the Three mobile Broadband modems and I will be bringing a laptop so (reception allowing) we will be able to post any notable events or catches straight on to AN.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Steve, the offer's still open for a hand with the bacon and tea - let me know if you want me to bring anything :)

Excellent haul of tench by Glyn! A great result. Looks like some decent fish will get caught despite the NE winds :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Any news on the brand of ketchup, Steve? It's been worrying me all night....

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Have a great weekend all, I wasn't able to sign up as I'm not really kitted out for night fishing. If there's another Itchen event I hope to meet some of you there.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Can I again thank Steve , Peggy , Glyn and all giving of their time and effort, a fabulous gesture from a noble group of people.

A THOUSAND THANKS. :clap::clap:

Thanks Tony!

Rusty: don't miss out next year, we can lend guests everything they need. We already have this time, including a 2 man bivvy and 2 bedchairs for Boozlebear and his lad.

Elton: who said anything about there being any ketchup at all?

Anderoo: some SSG shot for the bobbins will be useful in case of undertow. Thanks.