Windy Wednesday?

Chris Plumb

Just posted on Metcheck.....

All eyes to the South-west over the next few hours as a small disturbance could develop into an extremely nasty Autumn storm for Southern areas.

The area currently being watched is about 600 miles West of the Bay of Biscay where latest QuikScat images show winds now favourable for development.

The system is then forecast to deepen rapidly as it approaches the Bay of Biscay then move North-East across Brest, into Cherbourg then up the English Channel.

Latest WRF models show a central pressure of less than 990mb, however due to rapid cyclogenesis the storm could produce storm force winds across much of Southern England.

The system isn't too dissimilar to the 1987 Storm, being mildly warm cored laying under the right exit of the jet stream.

We'll follow developments of this storm during today and into tomorrow morning, however, if you have outdoor plans across Southern England for Wednesday then please stay tuned for updates on this system.

Might have to alter my plans for a fsihing trip weds evening!

C.

[ 17. October 2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Chris Plumb ]

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I'll keep a weather eye out on that one I'm supposed to be driving to Milton Keynes, perhaps I'll give Mr Fish a call he'll know whats happening!

dan

[ 17. October 2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Guest NickInTheNorth

not a mention of anything untoward for wednesday on the BBC TV lunchtime weather forecast, other than it will be a "period of unsettled weather"!

Fairly typical.

Chris Plumb:

Latest WRF models show a central pressure of less than 990mb, however due to rapid cyclogenesis the storm could produce storm force winds across much of Southern England.

Dunno what you folks consider a low pressure but for me, 990 mb (or 29.23 in) is starting to get down far enough to really notice. Could be quite a storm when it finally hits.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The company my girlfriend works for looks after ground maintenance all along the south coast.

Have sent her boss an email telling him to sharpen his chain saws!!!

I'm playing golf Wednesday too. May well be interesting

NickInTheNorth:

not a mention of anything untoward for wednesday on the BBC TV lunchtime weather forecast, other than it will be a "period of unsettled weather"!

Fairly typical.

Although he was a qualified meteorologist, Hopkins ran up a terrible record of forecasting for the TV news programme. He became something of a local joke when a newspaper began keeping a record of his predictions and showed that he'd been wrong almost three hundred times in a single year.

That kind of notoriety was enough to get him fired.

He moved to another part of the country and applied for a similar job. But in the interview for the post, they asked him the one question he was dreading: "What was the reason for you leaving your last job?"

Hopkins replied, "The climate didn't agree with me."

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President