Fishing near Northolt N/W London

raqman

Hi Guys,

I do not want to get into a debate about taking fish home or not, different cultures and nations have different habits and as I am a guest "new" fisherman here, I will respect the view that the UK sees this more as a sport than a hunting hobby. I read better after posting that you can actually take fish hom over 30cm etc.... (so apologies my previous post came did not make that clear, still it is quite confusing, other fisherman tell me it is illeagal, even my local postman who is a localsaid that same).

As Newt said, don't worry about the 'debate', it's subject that crops up regularly, and as you have seen we each have our own opinion.

I just wanted you to have the official rules, so you knew what you legally could, or couldn't do in your area.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I havent even looked at this thread since I replied a couple of days ago.

I have no idea whats been said and I dare not look.

What was a simple question about what the fishing is like in Northolt has got totally out of control as far as I am concerned.

My last comment is this. I know a guy who caught a Chub of a lifetime on the river Lea. It was 8lb 3oz, a very near British record and if caught any later in the year would have smashed it. I have never caught a Chub that size and guess I never will. What would your reactions be if that same guy had decided to take it home for the pot, then perhaps decided to have it stuffed eh? What a total waste of a beautiful fish it would have been.

This is true chaps, I just wonder how you would think if that fish had been slaughtered. I feel the same way about any fish, whatever size and however common.

Newt!!!

Hey mate, close this thread please before it ends in tears!!

cheers

Paul

Paul - this discussion crops up from time to time and usually if we stop one early, another crops up and is less polite. So far, this one is informational and reasonably civil so I think I'll let it run.

For what its worth, I only take small fish these days if I need bait and do not appreciate the folks who take trophy fish. They are usually not good to eat or even safe since they have a larger load of whatever toxins are in the local water.

I also appreciate the UK situation where you have too many fresh water anglers for the available water and when you combine that with most coarse fish (other than river fish) being owned by someone, I think I would really prefer pure catch & release if I lived there too.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Hermes,

For the record, I did not take it personally at all your reaction, if anything, you raise valid points regarding trophy fish and like newt says, a big one would be full of toxins.

I am getting a picture that there is "over fishing in the UK" and am going to try lizards to just pass the time away.

Personally I do not see a problem of taking the fish you catch if within a reasonable size, as in my opinion, one would not eat fish from the supermarket either if this was an issue, however I am now terrified of toxins etc... that some people have given me the idea that it is best to take home fish when one goes Sea Fishing, which I believe is not an issue for anyone?

Hermes the only one who seems to have a problem with this thread is you so simply dont take part in the disscusion if the thought of killing any fish (sorry it seems you think its ok to kill sea fish so I must change that to freshwater fish) is to much for you.

Oh how about game fish is it acceptable to kill them?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hermes the only one who seems to have a problem with this thread is you so simply dont take part in the disscusion if the thought of killing any fish (sorry it seems you think its ok to kill sea fish so I must change that to freshwater fish) is to much for you.

Oh how about game fish is it acceptable to kill them?

Budgie, since Newt has left this thread open I am off again.

Budgie, so what if I am the only one that has this opinion, I do not care and will not change. Does that mean I am not allowed to speak my mind because I do not agree with the masses?

Budgie, I never said it was ok to kill sea fish. I will not kill any fish for Pike fishing.

Budgie, you had better get your facts right before telling me not to reply in posts mate. I am the one who has been trying to help this guy fishing in Northolt. Have you? Where has your assistance been untill now, you have not participated in this thread at all untill now so don't tell me I shouldn't please :angry:

Budgie, who mentioned game fish eh, no I would not kill them either. On the Lea we are lucky enough to have a few wild Brown Trout. It's a privilege to catch one and release it.

Since we are way off track lets get back to the real topic, what do you know about fishing in Northolt Budgie ?!

Newt, come on close this thread please, this is all way off topic now isn't it. None of this has anything to do with fishing in Northolt does it?

And the original poster is nowhere to be seen after causing such a hoo ha <_<

Hermes, Since I seem to be the one that inadvertantly started this arguement, I feel I have to say something, although I was just going to let it 'die'.

Your first post was great in answering ragmans question, that is until this bit,

You say you have fished in Epping?, I live there and there are loads of ponds stuffed with fish and are free to fish. Just don't even think about taking fish home with you whatever the size mate, thats not what fishing is about is it.

If you need to take fish home then make sure it's from a Trout fishery that allows that to happen, make sure you don't take them from anywhere else please.

As I said before this is based on your opinion and belief, (fair enough). The guy apparently took it to mean that taking fish is illegal. I then posted showing him the laws for the area, so he could make an informed choice.

You then, (by your own admittance) started a "rant" about taking fish.

Tell me please, was I wrong to tell the guy of the law covering what he had asked?

(Not my personal opinion, mind, but the legalities of one of his questions in his first post)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

"My last comment is this. I know a guy who caught a Chub of a lifetime on the river Lea. It was 8lb 3oz, a very near British record and if caught any later in the year would have smashed it. I have never caught a Chub that size and guess I never will. What would your reactions be if that same guy had decided to take it home for the pot, then perhaps decided to have it stuffed eh? What a total waste of a beautiful fish it would have been.

This is true chaps, I just wonder how you would think if that fish had been slaughtered. I feel the same way about any fish, whatever size and however common."

I think the general public might look more kindly on us anglers if we did have our specimen fish set up to be admired! Certainly they would see it as a more legitimate reason for fishing.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm sorry if you've taken offence to my post Hermes.Certainly none was intended.I was more interested in hearing more of the reasons for the beliefs that you posted as I'm genuinely interested (as you are always an interesting contributor here) in what you have to say.

If my "facts" were wrong then I must apologise but I was lead by your comments to believe they were right.

I couldn't really give Ragman any more useful info on the area than your self and others had already given and neither on the exact legal standing as John had pointed this out.

We have drifted away from Ragmans initial post admittedly but this is after all in fairness often the nature of discussion?

My only objection (as such) to your later post was your request for the topic to be closed.I couldn't see why this was other than it had drifted into an area (ie the taking of fish for the pot) that your obviously not comfortable with.

The issue is in my mind an extremely topical and ultimately important one. So much so that any slight mention of it will cause debate,

I hope Ragman sees that we have given him what ever practical help we can and has also read the posts re the taking of fish to eat and found them both explanatory of the issue and helpful as well.I'm glad to see that no one has ripped into him as they would have done on both other sites and up until recently on here as well!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Chaps,

I am actually reading these posts, as actually my first post had two points to cover:

Where to Fish near Northolt, and indeed I have received good info on this.

The second point was:

Where can I go fishing and take them home (as the lakes I checked out where either like Lizards where you cannot take them home, or trout fisheries, where you can only do fly fishing)./

So the legal not legal issue came up and that was indeed an eye opener and I feel much more informed then when I first started.

Naturally I am sorry that this has also caused a debate about fishing killing.

I am no Vegan and would not have issues catching a good sized fish to eat, otherwise I would not eat Poultry, Meat or the many fishes I purchase from Tescos.

For the record, I am now concerned about pollution in the fish I may catch in the Thames etc... so my friends and I have deiced to fish in those places for "sport" catch and release and Fish for "hunting" down in Brighton etc.......

What has definetely caught me by surprise is this concern of killing fish and thus why I am reading this thread, as I had personally started this thread, it is of interest to see why there is this culture in my new found sport of catch and release and why one would have issues of killing the fish (my question is genuine and not to stir up fights) as unless someone told me they were Vegan, what would be the difference of buying dead fish at Tescos and eating that, or catching fresh fish from a clean lake and eating that?

So indeed, what has caught m