Rivers - Cleaner, but not yet good enough for EU

Leon Roskilly

I've just been reading this, and thought I'd post it on here. But you beat me to it Leon :D .

Does anyone know where to find what criteria is used to define a 'good' river from a 'very good' river etc.

What is it allowed to contain and in what quantities?

I was also surprised to see that eels are reported as "returning" to some estuaries.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Does anyone know where to find what criteria is used to define a 'good' river from a 'very good' river etc.

What is it allowed to contain and in what quantities?

see annexe of report linked to at: http://www.euwfd.com/html/monitoring_requirements.html

OOOps! Hopefully they will fix the DEFRA links soon (thousands of webmasters must be tearing their hair out now that DEFRA have revamped their website, and none of the previous links or bookmarks now work!)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

see annexe of report linked to at: http://www.euwfd.com/html/monitoring_requirements.html

OOOps! Hopefully they will fix the DEFRA links soon (thousands of webmasters must be tearing their hair out now that DEFRA have revamped their website, and none of the previous links or bookmarks now work!)

Thanks for the link Leon.

I've only had time for a quick look, but seems to give the info I'm after, without getting too technical.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

More information on methodology here. Page 34-ish.

I would really need to dig further to make a more educated guess, because the range of indices measured is commendably broad, but I would not be at all surprised if the poor performance of the Test is all to do with high nitrate levels.

This is looking at water quality in groundwater in the Test catchment - the nitrate figures are getting towards the top end of what's acceptable for drinking water, so I expect the problem is more severe still in the river with agricultural runoff and treated sewage inputs.

Edited by Steve Walker