Digital SLR's ?

RobStubbs

The problem with the non-SLR digital types is the time they take to focus and refocus in between shots.

Once focused on a given area if there is then a method to put the lens into 'manual' focus this can help - the number of shots that can be taken in quick succession then depends on the cameras memory cache ( before it has to write to smart card/micro drive )

Gillies - do you have a waterproof housing for your Canon or don't you bother - I've been a bit wary of taking expensive cameras into the sea angling environment - saltspray, sand, bait juicies etc

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only occasionally take the SLR out to sea, most of the time when Im at sea is during matches, so only bring with me a small point & shoot (Pentax Optio S) so its not taking up space.

Would not like to risk the SLR with all the salt water and fishy fingers. Have no waterproof housing ... thats one reason Im going to move to to Canon 1D Mk2, thats built like a tank and very good in harsh conditions .... though wouldnt fancy getting it smelly with fish guts!

Chippy uses a waterproof housing, he has "great" underwater shots on his web site.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Cheers Gillies - I have a Canon A1 ( point and shoot waterproof 35mm compact ) which is great for the real harsh elements and have an old Kodak digi ( 1mega pixel :) ).

i suppose the danger with taking an SLR on a fishing trip is less fishing time - due to trying to get the 'perfect' shot - and having to take another bag :)

Gillies:

Chippy - thats a very veryt nice piece of kit your looking at ..."pricey".

Gillies

It should work out for me (not having to pay VAT) about the same as the EOS1D MkII.

Thankfully I've already got a decent selection of Nikon lenses and speedlights.

If you're after a cheap way of protecting your camera's from salt spray and fish bits, the EWA Marine "housings" are worth considering. They're relatively cheap and are ideal for surface watersports. They're basically waterproof "bags" that the camera goes inside.

Someone here might be able to help. I bought a Canon G5 digital camera back in the early summer, and have been absolutely delighted with the resulting pics, but a problem has arisen. I can't find any processing lab that will process pics from my memory card (or a disk, for that matter) as slides. When I wanted some slides for a recent slide-show/talk I gave, I had to print out my pics and then photograph the prints using slide film. Results were okay, but direct card/disk to slide would be better. Fuji couldn't help, nor could the firm to whom they referred me (forgotten who they were). Anyone any suggestions?

Lag can be a real pest in cameras, a leaping Tarpon would of been a great shot - another thing is just not been fast enough, like I was in the shot below ... was hopefully going to be a shot of the Gannets just as they were about to hit water ... fraction of a second late though :rolleyes: not the best of photos, was a yucky wet day that I risked the SLR at sea.

gannets_two_dive.jpg

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com