Fox getting in on the Centrepin market

lutra

Just bought one of these http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/fishin...r/0/okuma/9172/

Thats it i have bought another one is there any hope or is this the start of the slippery slope .............

I can see why you were tempted JV, that's a very good price. :thumbs:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats it i have bought another one is there any hope or is this the start of the slippery slope .............

Well I think had you bought another AN 'pin you may have got away with the “second reel for different line” routine but the fact that you’ve bought a very different reel suggests to me that you are already a lost cause.

It won’t be long now, soon you’ll wonder how other reels are made and whether they might be better for certain situations, you’ll have to buy to find out.

Counseling is every sixth Thursday in the month.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Just bought one of these http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/fishin...r/0/okuma/9172/

It's a slippery slope I'm afraid JV! We must have trot sometime. I've had a really good summer, big chub, small chub, trout, barbel, nice dace and perch all from the Kennet on the pin. Champion! I always seem to use my Okuma Sheffield even though I don't think it's the best reel, I have. I could use any of - 2 nice match aerials, an aerial wide spool C815, two avon crown supremes, a trudex, a rapidex, a mordex and another one I have no name for.

Well I think had you bought another AN 'pin you may have got away with the “second reel for different line” routine but the fact that you’ve bought a very different reel suggests to me that you are already a lost cause.

It won’t be long now, soon you’ll wonder how other reels are made and whether they might be better for certain situations, you’ll have to buy to find out.

Counseling is every sixth Thursday in the month.

Hi Rusty - where is Pins Anonymous - I think I need to sign up.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Hi Rusty - where is Pins Anonymous - I think I need to sign up.

Hello Mike, Barton Court this Saturday if you're free, just as the weather turns from nice & sunny to torrential rain.

BC is holding up quite well. I went to have a look on Sunday and although some parts are very low, clear and slow there’s still plenty of good looking stretches.

I saw Bob James using one at the Fox show at Willow Farm a few weeks ago. He said it was basically the same as the Youngs reel with upgraded bearings. It looked identical to the Youngs BJ reel (I have one) only sightly different colour and very slightly bigger.

A nice reel but in my opinion no beter than the original Youngs version.

The Okuma trent looks a bit heavy - does it spin freely enough for normal trotting?

The Trent is basically a Sheffield with a drag mechanism added and so performance should be similar. My Sheffield copes with a gentle flow very well although sometimes needs a start due to the relatively heavy drum, normal trotting is fine and I still think that the Okumas are the best value range on the market (Steve's reel was an absolute steal at that price).

In terms of outright performance though on a very slow river my AN 'pin kicks all of my other reels into touch, it starts with next to no flow and doesn't need any help, but it's more expensive.

I'm sorry but I cannot comprehend why these things are so expensive. Open up any baitcasting multiplier and you can see why they cost £100+. There is NOTHING involved in making one of these "centre pins" that any half competent machinist with a basic CNC machine couldn't do in his back street workshop! I'd say £50 - £100 would be a fair (though high) price, purely dependent on material selection.

It makes me laugh to see all this rubbish about how they spin for five minutes or whatever. My old multipliers will do that if I rinse all the oil out of the bearings, so what? I'd expect any reel with ball bearings that has been balanced properly to do the same.