My first ever speeding ticket.

Guest Ferret1959

Guest Ferret1959
Sportsman:

Rabster, I'm no saint, got 2 speeding tickets to prove it, difference is I didn't cry about it or try to lie my way out of it.

I've looked but I can't find any thread that says bad driving is OK. Are you trying to suggest that drivers don't get done for driving under the influence or dangerous driving.

I don't approve of BAD driving, whatever form it takes. Speeding is ONE element of bad driving, possibly the easiest to Police and also possibly the most common offence.

Kleinboet, didn't understand your point at all, are you trying to say that it is OK for you to break the law because other people do and don't get done?

If thats the case I'll come and burgle your house and steal your car, but it's OK cos lots of other people do it and don't get caught, so it's the police's fault

One day in the not too distant future, speeding will be seen as just as anti-social as drink driving. I didn't really want to get dragged into this stupid thread again, you break the law, you get done, you have the remedy.

I wonder if anyone would have started a thread entitled "got done for burglary today" and expected any sympathy.

I didn't say I wanted any sympathy did I?

I was just ****** off with having to pay £60 that I haven't got and getting points that will also cost me money I haven't got.

I'd rather do a week volentry(sp) work to cover my errors.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959
skippy:

The laws have changed very recently re speed limits.  Apart from Motorways and round town the limits were raised by 10 mph!  Check if this applies to you - you may have a good defence.  If not - check when you get the letter through that it is signed "on behalf of the Chief Constable" if it isn't ask for a Court date and watch it get thown out!

It's signed.

Guest Ferret1959
ziggy searchfield:

next time you want to break a speed limit, come round & ask me what it feels like to pick up a body that one second was alive & the next second was crushed by the front wheels & then whipped up round the back 6 wheels of a articulated lorry.

it was 25 years ago, but you will never forget the scream.

No need I have seen it in the past.

I have also seen sights a lot worse.

I have seen many post mortems.

I was speeding deliberately.

I was with the flow of trafick on a dual carrageway that I haven't been on before.

Why do they have speed cameras on straight roads that don't seem to be accident black spots?

Strange that aint it?

Point taken Ferret, the remark wasn't aimed at you particularly. I was pi55ed off when I got done. The first one was 10 pm trying to get to the shop before it shut because my wife was out of toilet rolls. The most expensive dump in history :(

The second was doing 55 on a motorway at 2.30 AM with not another car in site. temporary camera on roadworks.

The fact is we have had this argument on here before and it always ends up in a pop at the Police. The fact is that they are not trying to catch drivers out or trick them, they are just enforcing the law.

My wife had an accident a couple of weeks ago, she was doing about 40 and walked away (alright, limped)

If it had been one of the boy racers who regularly drive on the same stretch at 80+ having the same accident there could easily have been multiple fatalities. I've attended at accidents where 4 teenagers have been killed, purely due to speed.

Try explaining that to the parents!

I've got a mate who collects parking tickets like confetti, but it's not his fault, it's those ba5tard traffic wardens.

If some drivers spent the time driving properly that they spend trying to avoid the consequences of their actions, we would all be safer

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

"Lorries and mopeds are restricted."

In theory yes, in practice many do not seem to be (I've seen buses and HGVs overtaking on motoways - I thought these all were supposed to have speed restrictors).

Mopeds are restricted due to licensing regulations, and you are about the most vulnerable user on the road (besides cyclists or pedestrians) when riding one. However, most new mopeds can still pull 40+ (against license regulations) or shops are opening them up to full power illegally (I've seen those Peugoet Speedfighter things flying around well beyond 40mph).

My point was that the control of speed (when used appropriately) can save your neck AND in some cases breaking the speed limit in the process would be both necessary and fair. If you saw a car coming out from a side road whilst you were doing 40mph (seeing it late), it might occasionally be safe to slightly accelerate and get past the junction than it is to hit the brakes. Every motoring situation (emergency wise) is different, and experience should dictate what we do (which might not always be right), however, if you needed a little extra push in such circumstances and the power wasn't there then your options are highly restricted.

Ian W