Posts made with my distinctive avatar at the top

jeepster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brit says "biscuit" and you need to think "cookie".

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Biscuit - Cookie in America. Though the large home-made chocolate chip type things would also be referred to as cookies in England. We also use the word "biscuit" to mean cracker, for instance you will see "biscuits for cheese" in the supermarkets, which are assortments of crackers.

Quoted from a very good site for any Americans who need to understand Britspeak. Here are a few more from the food and drink page:

Black Pudding - Missed by Brits in America, thin or thick black pudding is one of the staples of a cooked breakfast. Looking like a black sausage it is made from pigs blood and fat. Sounds horrid, but like faggots, you should try it before passing judgement!

Crumpet - One of the oldest traditions in English foody fads is the crumpet. A cratered flat cake. Toasted and covered in butter, so that it drips into the holes, the crumpet is enjoyed at tea on a Sunday, during the winter. It is about the size and shape of an English muffin (itself recently introduced to the UK and unheard of by most Brits!). Crumpet also has another meaning. Men might refer to women as a bit of crumpet, or they might fancy some crumpet tonight. You probably get the drift!

Curry - England has more than it's fair share of Indian restaurants. Anything from a korma or a bhuna to a madras or a vindaloo are amongst the favourite curries. Curry houses are one of the few places that serve alcohol (lager) after the pubs shut. Therefore it is very popular, after your 10 pints of lager, to pop next door to the curry house for 10 more pints, some poppadoms and a good curry. This mixture is perfect for churning out the infamous "pavement pizza". Use your imagination!

Doner - Short for a doner kebab. The closest thing in the US is a gyro. Kebabs in England, whether shish (meat on a skewer) or a doner (lamb on vertical spit), are served in split pitta bread with salad. There is a whole culture difference between the clean living shopping mall gyro and the greasy doner. Whilst the gyro is available all day and all evening and enjoyed by everyone, the doner is generally sold after 11pm in England to young males, after the pubs close and after 8 or so pints of lager. Usually served with extra hot fresh chilli sauce and on greaseproof paper so the oil is funnelled back onto your trousers, it is usually enjoyed standing up.

Faggot - Never knock faggots until you have tried them! They are a traditional British delicacy. Made by many butchers, they are meatballs wrapped in a casing of intestine. Delicious! The best known commercial brand is Brains Faggots - eat them with gravy.

Haggis - One of the best known and most misunderstood Scottish inventions. Haggis is made from offal and grain and is held together in a sheep's stomach. It can be grilled, fried, or boiled whole. It is absolutely delicious and is traditionally served with neaps and tatties (turnips and mashed potato).

And Americans think us Brits can't cook!!!

[ 26. April 2005, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Gobio ]

OK, got it. Cookies. :D I presume this photo was taken during a quaffing session, Jeepster?

I'll refer to the Effingpot website before my next trip across the pond, Gobio. Thanks. Indian restaurants seem to be in short supply here. Lots of Mexican food, though.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

We call biscuits biscuits and crackers crackers, what could be simpler. :D

Biscuit comes from the french *bis cuit* literally meaning *again cooked*, because that's how a proper biscuit is cooked. It's cooked once and then allowed to cool before being put back in the oven and cooked again.

I wonder if any biscuits are still cooked like this.

Chip butties are on the link I posted, as are baps but not dripping I'm afraid.

For Americans:

Chip Butties are french fries sandwiches.

Dripping Baps are bread rolls with beef fat.

[ 26. April 2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Gobio ]