what size reel am I looking for

J.K

Hi again,

Have been looking around on the internet for a reel but I find it hard to tell the size of the reel. Some give how much it weighs .. some say XL .. some say 1000, 2000 etc etc

Looking for a reel with a freespool option ( as I would use it for barbel, but not nessisary ) but would like a reel that I could use for the smaller species too. Not sure whats out there that would cover these but im hoping you lot here can tell me :D

If posssible I would like to undertsand the sizes on the reel means. Mabey even you have a few reel suggestions.

I have been looking at:

*Okuma Amazonium

*Daiwa Regal Z 4550

*Shimano Sahara RE 3000

hope you can help me out

[ 24. June 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: J.K ]

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

the okuma is a free spool, not sure if the others are....and I'll bet it's at least half the price of the other two...

you know it makes sense

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Blimey!..wouldn't have thought that :confused:

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

For barble work I would say you need at least a 4000 size reel.

The size dictates the spool size, the spool size dictates the line breaking strain/amount ratio.

Not sure if many companies do freespool reels under 6000 size but there are a few used by matchmen.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

In general the smaller the number the smaller the reel (and vice-versa), a 4000 is probably a good size for most normal situations. If you want to fish really light or really heavy then choose accordingly.

I expect most people would say that a 3000 is a bit on the small side for barbel. One of the more important differences in the sizes is the amount of line of a given diameter that can be loaded on to the spool.

This could also help to identify whether a particular reel will be suitable for you.

I use the Okuma Force, 30 size (equivalent to 3000 size in Shimano or similar). It has a baitrunner device, and is very smooth, yet costs under £30.

There are even better ones on the market, but no need to go bigger, unless you are going to use it to double as a Carp reel.

BOF