River Carp

darrell.cook

It's been a long tome since I posted on AN, so hello again to everyone.

I just wanted to share one of my best mornings fishing with someone - the wife doesnt understand me :rolleyes:

I've just returned from a couple of hours fishing on the rever Itchen, near where I live in Southampton, today I fished a stretch I haven't fished before and am delighted to say I caught my first river carp. :D Next cast followed my second!

:D:D

The first fish was not like I imagined a river carp to be - it was a mirror and resembled a football! It was as long as it was wide as it was deep and weighed in at 12lb 4oz. The second was so pale as to be almost Koi like, but had a classic shape and weighed in at 8lb exactly.

I always thought a river carp would be long and lean, especially from small fast rivers like the Itchen. Anyone else had experience of river carp ? Certainly gave a good account of itself and was a little different to the chub I was targeting!!

'I've never caught one are any different from lake carp. Do they fight differently?'

Youve got to remember with any fish on a rive your not just fighting against the fish, you are also fighting the current of the water and any fish will use this.

I had 3 carp out of the River Test earlier this season whilst fishing bread flake for roach. Biggest was 'only' 8lb 6oz but with lightish gear (and a match rod and centrepin reel )it was certainly and interesting experience. The current of course rather multiples the strength of the fight....rather pleased to get them in!

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

A few years ago I had a river Kennet carp of 6lb on 12 March, two days later I had two more (from a different venue) best going 15lb 14oz. I have never had a river carp before or since. They do fight well, I had them all on barbel gear on the edge of floodwater, as soon as I hooked them they rushed into the current and headed towards Reading like a 125 express!

They do crop up in the Kennet over 20lb and I am sure that a concerted campaign would produce some great fish, maybe.... one day.

Peter.

I've had them from the Kennet quite regularly too - usually when Barbel fishing - so I'm a bit more geared up for them! There are or rather were a lot in the Ufton river stretch. RDAA removed quite a few from here a couple of seasons back (they were put into their still waters) and re-stocked with barbel.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

darrell.cook:

I just wanted to share one of my best mornings fishing with someone - the wife doesnt understand me   :rolleyes:  

Thats funny! My wifes eyes glaze over, roll back in her head and she starts to babble when I mention fish.. :D:D

River carp. Never have seen one around here. Only still water though I bet there are a few. Sounds like good day

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...