Cooking Hemp

Jeffwill

Using a pressure cooker with a pyrex glass plate on top, I have been bringing to the boil and then simmering and usually it turns out okay but now and again losing enough steam for some of the hemp to burn. (I have tried the lid but it leaks even more steam and I cant see whats happening inside).

I have heard of using a thermos flask to do it but then your limited to a couple of pints (and ruining your thermos). I notice argos are currrently selling rice cookers for a tenner but never heard of anyone using one.

Is there a better method of cooking hemp? I also have tried soaking the hemp over night but have found it cooks just as well straight out of the sack.

I have also heard of adding salt!!

The way i use to do it was get and old cool box. and put the hemp in and keep pouring kettles of hot water over it for a few days. The end result is the same as boiling it. When its split and nicely fermented, Drain off some of the access water and add a tin of condensed milk. So much easier then boiling it, And you dont get your ear bent by the other half. You can then get some freezer bags and put the access in the freezer. Next to the boillys and the deadbaits. And pish her off that way. :rolleyes:

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Using a pressure cooker with a pyrex glass plate on top, I have been bringing to the boil and then simmering and usually it turns out okay but now and again losing enough steam for some of the hemp to burn. (I have tried the lid but it leaks even more steam and I cant see whats happening inside).

I'm not trying to be funny but is your pressure cooker working properly, and do you actually know how to use it?

You may need to replace the gasket, the only place you should lose any steam is through the relief valve.

Just using it as a large saucepan you need to cook the hemp for about 15 - 20 minutes.

I use one all the time for hemp, just bring it up to pressure and give it four or five minutes cooking (max) and let it cool down on it's own. If I'm in a hurry I will give it a bit longer cooking (maybe 8 minutes) and cool it off to below pressure under the cold tap.

Jeff, I use a couple of thermos flasks. Half fill with hemp, fill with boiling water, lightly screw on the lid, and leave overnight. Strain offf and bag up. I do this a couple of evenings on the trot (Fri,Sat and Sunday nights) and soon have a load ready cooked....I freeze them down in about 1/2 pint bags.

I also use the flasks for coffee during the following weekdays fishing :) no taste of hemp.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have heard of using a thermos flask to do it but then your limited to a couple of pints (and ruining your thermos). I notice argos are currrently selling rice cookers for a tenner but never heard of anyone using one.

Is there a better method of cooking hemp? I also have tried soaking the hemp over night but have found it cooks just as well straight out of the sack.

I have also heard of adding salt!!

quickest way of doing hemp is to half fill a 3pt maggot tub with hemp then cover with water about one inch above the hemp put in microwave for 30 mins at full power and it is done.was told this by jimmy plaice who with mark addy done the bait for the english team.no need to soak old wives tale.

Maybe you are putting too much in the pressure cooker. I tend to use a large preserving pan and boil rapidly for 20mins then leave in the hot water until split. Then I freeze it in 'session' size bags

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I'm not trying to be funny but is your pressure cooker working properly, and do you actually know how to use it?

You may need to replace the gasket, the only place you should lose any steam is through the relief valve.

Just using it as a large saucepan you need to cook the hemp for about 15 - 20 minutes.

I use one all the time for hemp, just bring it up to pressure and give it four or five minutes cooking (max) and let it cool down on it's own. If I'm in a hurry I will give it a bit longer cooking (maybe 8 minutes) and cool it off to below pressure under the cold tap.

You've twigged that I dont have a clue regarding the pressure bit! Thats the trouble buying things from the car boot, there's no manual...

You've twigged that I dont have a clue regarding the pressure bit! Thats the trouble buying things from the car boot, there's no manual...

Lets assume it's all there and working (although I don't think it is).

Put in your hemp and cover by an inch with water.

Put the lid on and turn on the heat.

When you see a steady stream of steam coming from the hole in the centre of the lid put on the weights.

It will now start to build up pressure. When it reaches pressure you need to turn down the heat. The safety valve should close up when pressure is reached.

This is the point at which you start timing the cooking.

After the allotted time is up, turn off the heat and allow to cool off sufficiently to depressurise; that's the best way but if you're in a hurry put it under a cold tap.

If there is any steam or water leaking from around the lid during the process you need to replace the gasket in the lid. The safety valve in the lid should also be replaced every couple of years.

quickest way of doing hemp is to half fill a 3pt maggot tub with hemp then cover with water about one inch above the hemp put in microwave for 30 mins at full power and it is done.was told this by jimmy plaice who with mark addy done the bait for the english team.no need to soak old wives tale.

I have never tried the microwave method, I could see that working - are you sure it was 30 mins though, on full power? :blink:

I think if I left anything in my microwave at full power for that long the atoms would get irretrievably re-arranged and I would be presented with a unsightly mess on opening the door.....which is often the case with me and microwave ovens. :D

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries