Targeting specimen river perch on lobworms

tiddlertamer

I would agree that float fishing is the best option but last season I started fishing a second rod with legered lobs static on the bottom (using a free-running paternoster, heavy lead and a very light bobbin and a long drop). This actually accounted for most of the bigger perch I caught.

What were the bites like? Did they play with the worm for an age before the bobbin finally went up?

john clarke

I have caught a number of good perch with the best weighed fish at 3lb 14oz but my preference is to use several small red worms rather than a lob. As most of you say, the chub will often be a bit further out in the flow than the perch which can help you to gain confidence in slower swims. I just find the smaller worms seem less attractive to the chub and more selective towards the perch. I like to use mole hill soil as a ground bait too and this holds better in the slower areas of my local river. I have noticed a definite preference for the perch to take the bait when either the float has been halted or a small maggot feeder used on a very fine quiver of an ounce or less invariably does the trick

What were the bites like? Did they play with the worm for an age before the bobbin finally went up?

They were very obvious when they came - jerky rises on the bobbin all the way up to the rod (approx 2ft drop). I didn't have any playing about with the bait, except for the crayfish, which give slow, smooth, short lifts. On one occasion I was about 10ft from the rod and had quite a quick bite - I couldn't reach the rod in time, the bobbin made it to the rod, the perch felt the resistance, and dropped the bait...that was the only bite of the session! I now sit very close to the rod at all times and strike before the bobbin reaches the rod, hence the long drop.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music