wallis casting

Guest bbamboo

I agree, I've managed so far with a sort of wallis cast not holding the rig (probably what lutra does when he's wading) but I've found it to be restrictive in some situations because it needs a hefty side sweep with the float dangling. As I understand it a skilled wallis caster can get good distance without the rod having to travel in a wide arc, good for tight spots.

rusty ,catch me at timsbury and i'll show you how simple a underarm wally cast is ,so long as you can get the rod strait out in front of you you can cast it .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bbamboo

I think it got lost so ask again

Question for all you proficient Wallis casters.

What would be the standard amount of weigh to use be, is it the bigger the better for a beginners point of view?

And the other question is can very light tackle be Wallis cast proficiently.

I know we are discussing more trotting techniques with conventional trotting floats like Avon’s or stick floats.

But can wagglers floats be cast the same way, or does it not really matter.

Is the cast best done with the shot bulked to hold?

Is braided line a better option than standard mono?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Question for all you proficient Wallis casters.

What would be the standard amount of weigh to use be, is it the bigger the better for a beginners point of view?

And the other question is can very light tackle be Wallis cast proficiently.

I know we are discussing more trotting techniques with conventional trotting floats like Avon's or stick floats.

But can wagglers floats be cast the same way, or does it not really matter.

Is the cast best done with the shot bulked to hold?

Is braided line a better option than standard mono?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

yes for a beginner a heavier float ,prefably with a bulk sotting like a chubba or avon float of 4-8 bb or 1-2 ssg should get you a good two+ rod lengths with little effort .

the version wallis (fwk) came up with was a improvement over a cast by William Bailey (like the way i do it) wallis wrote about the cast in the book " Fine Angling For Coarse Fish " in a rather splendidly titled chapter " The Modern Light Float Cast From the Reel. Nottingham Style " ,so yes its ,well wallis's way ,is intended for casting light floats but that does tyake practice too achieve distance.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

youtube is the place too look ,type in alan roe , or centrepin cast

john wilson has a dvd/video called centrepin fishing special ,just him fishing with his centrepin ,nothing new there then.theres no instructional dvds or video how too's (well except a american one ,centrepinning 101 ,but thats no good for you ,1) it'd require a multi regein player ,2) its made by yanks {sorry newt} )

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

I'm not knocking the wallis cast, or any other cast for that matter, but I don't think that it's as important to fishing with a pin as many make out.

I've fished with pins all my angling life, and have the line coming off the 'wrong' way, (from the top of the reel), so have struggled with any cast other than the loop cast. I can get the distance I want using it. I have the same amount of line for every cast, so my float drops in the same place every time. It suits me and my 'style' so I haven't persevered with any other way as much as I could have done.

Another thing that I've noticed, is that many say that the best way to fish a pin, is trotting near enough from the end of the rod. If they believe this, then how far do they need to cast?

If anyone wants to learn the cast, then fair enough, it's another string to your bow, and another skill learned. But don't think that it's a thing you must learn to be able to use the pin. Find what suits you, and enjoy that.

John.

I agree that wallis casting isn't the be all and end all of fishing with a pin ( I probably caught as fish before this season when i started to wallis cast), but i do find it is an easier and more trouble free cast even at short range. I did find pulling loops especially on a windy day not to be trouble free, but you've had more practise than me John. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I agree that wallis casting isn't the be all and end all of fishing with a pin ( I probably caught as fish before this season when i started to wallis cast), but i do find it is an easier and more trouble free cast even at short range. I did find pulling loops especially on a windy day not to be trouble free, but you've had more practise than me John. :)

Are you suggesting I'm an old Bugger? :o ........You might have a point there :D

When I started fishing, I used my late Dad's gear. It wasn't expensive stuff, and he'd had it years. The pins weren't free running enough to cast any way other than using the loop method. I bought several pins in my teens, but it wasn't until I bought my Aerial at 18, that I had a really free running reel. By then I was used to casting using the loop method, and it carried on. I have tried the wallis cast a few times, but never really persevered with it. I've never had much problem with the loop cast, but I do have long arms and have got used to the timing. Casting 4 or 5 rod lengths has never been a problem.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest bbamboo

Hi John

Thats a long cast with the loop method

How many loop lenght do you hold to get that sort distance.

Can you post a picture showing your method

Gary

Hi John

Thats a long cast with the loop method

How many loop lenght do you hold to get that sort distance.

Can you post a picture showing your method

Gary

No pictures I'm afraid Gary.

I've used every finger and my thumb to gather loops when needed. It doesn't look pretty, but if you time it right it works. If anyone knows the Yorks Ouse around Widdington Hall, I used to leger half way across that with a pin.

Up to three loops, usually covers most of my needs though, and with my long arms, that's up to about 20-24ft of line, plus the length of the rod, that's about 36-40ft out from the bank, depending on where I start my loops from, and the depth I'm fishing.

It just involves turning from your waist towards the hand with the loops, while holding the loops at arms length, then turning forward while bringing the rod round, and a final flick as you release the loops, top one first. It sound really complicated, but it's just what I've got used to, and after so many years, (as lutra pointed out :P ) I don't have to think about it, it just happens.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John