• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its OK Ive got one.

:D

Took me a while to figure out your art work. :blink:

It's got my likeness, and my kind of food, but the fish? :yucky::yucky:

I'd not thought of using my toes. I'll have to work on that, maybe in the warmer weather. :sun::clap:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest bbamboo

Thanks John

Please correct me if I am wrong so you just form and hold the loops of line in your hand, (you don’t draw them down from the rod rings?)

Regarding Wallis casting is it correct to say you need a fairly heavy set up to do this cast for it to work efficiently

Or in others words does it not work to well with a light set up?

Gary

Regarding Wallis casting is it correct to say you need a fairly heavy set up to do this cast for it to work efficiently Or in others words does it not work to well with a light set up?/quote]

No I wouldn't say that really, as with a fixed spool reel cast a heavier weight will travel further than a lighter one. A Wallis cast will still work with a light set up but casting distance will be shorter.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks John

Please correct me if I am wrong so you just form and hold the loops of line in your hand, (you don’t draw them down from the rod rings?)

Gary

Hi Gary,

I take loops from between the rings by hooking them over my fingers. The thumb will take the first loop, the index finger the next, and so on up the rod. I used to whip an extra eye on the butt section between the bottom eye and the reel. This gave an extra option, and because I fish with the line coming from the top of the reel, it also helped prevent line looping off, and round the back of the reel.

People hold the rod in different ways as well. Some prefer to hold it so the grip is just above the reel seat, and use their fingers to control the speed of the reel. I prefer to hold it so that I grip just below the reel seat and use my thumb to control the reel. As I said before it's what feels comfortable to you, and what you get used to.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest bbamboo

Just had an interesting talk with Alan about inertia and centre pin reels.

So I did a test on my Okuma Sheffield just to see how it fairs out.

I don’t know if you are supposed to hand the line straight from the reel or not but anyway that how I tested it

The minimum amount of weight, which gets the reel turning, is one number 6 shot.

Don’t know if thats good but anyway thats the result from my test.

Gary

Guest bbamboo
A more effective test would be to thread the line through a made up rod held horizontally with the line coming off at 90 degrees and then see what amount of weight you require for start up.

Right thought it was doing well

What would you guys class as good,very good and exceptional

Just so I understand what to look for.

Gary

Edited by bbamboo