Quest for a barbel

Pangolin

I'm determined to catch a barbel before the end of the year but, so far, I've been unsuccessful. I've been to the Wye at Bredwardine and the Avon at Evesham: both lovely venues but both yielding no barbel. I've tried a variety of baits too.

Can anyone recommend a day-ticket fishery, swim and method within a couple of hours drive? I live in Buckingham. I'm not looking for record-breaking barbel, just somewhere I'd be fairly sure of catching one with the right technique.

There aren't many fishing weekends left....

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I'm determined to catch a barbel before the end of the year but, so far, I've been unsuccessful. I've been to the Wye at Bredwardine and the Avon at Evesham: both lovely venues but both yielding no barbel. I've tried a variety of baits too.

Can anyone recommend a day-ticket fishery, swim and method within a couple of hours drive? I live in Buckingham. I'm not looking for record-breaking barbel, just somewhere I'd be fairly sure of catching one with the right technique.

Given your location wouldn't the Ouse be the most sensible option isn't it famous for its barbel? Maybe the Warwickshire Avon?

Rich

Hi Pangolin not seen you posting for sometime.Getting a bit late now and not sure what the water levels are like at the moment but for catching barbel of any size and in numbers rather than individual size I would have to recommend the River Severn at Bewdly.Not sure if that's in your range or not?

Simple maggot and hemp in a feeder tactics will put you amongst them.There are several day ticket stretches if any good to you let me know and I can send you some details of swims etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Buckingham is not far from the upper Lea is it?

If so then I would think seriously about joining Verulum AC (a St. Albans club) as they have some excellent Barbel waters on the upper Lea, plus some well known Barbel stretches on the Great Ouse (Radwell, Felmersham etc.). Have a look at this link (Verulum AC) for a list of all of their their waters and the Barbel they hold.

Verulum AC are currently accepting Half year memberships (see their site).

I'll probably see you on the banks if you do decide to join.

The only free stretch of the upper Lea that I have fished that has a few smallish Barbel (3lb to 6lb) is the shallow stretch that runs through wheathamstead park, the last few swims before it leaves the park deepen to around 3 to 4 ft and usually produce a Barbel or two at around dusk with lots of Chub (up to around 3.5lb).

NB. the Barbel in my avatar is an upper Lea barbel caught this season.

tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The way that barbel fishing seems to have gone recently I would suggest going somewhere that is not 'advertised' as a barbel venue and therefore doesn't attract coach loads of barbel anglers!

Look at some of the Wye and Usk day ticket waters but note the restrictions on baits etc.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...s-Avon-stretch/

Hope this helps

The Kennet would be within your 2 hour radius, not sure how much of it is free other than the Northcroft sidestream bit, much of it is controlled by TAA & NAA.

An 8lb Barbel was caught at Northcroft a couple of weeks back but again I don't think it's considered a prolific stretch. You'd have to contend with crayfish too.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

hi mate it sounds to me like your probably fishing the right waters there's a good head of fish in both areas i would suggest maybe a rethink on tackle/method.but it could be as simple as not standing on a creaky pallet or staying off the sky line ect but its hard to say realy but they are really spooky fish and once spooked they will be very weary of your area

The club looks interesting. Which stretches of the upper lea do you fish when you are after barbel? Would you be interested in showing a new member around, if I joined? I'm not a novice angler, I just haven't ever caught a barbel and my Grey's prodigy barbel rod has only landed carp and tench.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.