Eels in the Kennet

arbocop

I've often wondered why the Kennet was so devoid of eels - I've got one - a bootlace sized specimen back in 1991 from Theale. My only eel in 40 years of fishing the river. In my youth I used to use worms a lot (still do now I come to think about it!) so its not as if I haven't been using a bait to their liking!!!

C.

Thanks for the various comments and JV's post of a mighty eel. It would seem that there is a ;) 'Theale eel' thing going on. Maybe they get out at Theale and go into the gravel pits. Once they get fat, they then get back in and go to Barbados.

Thanks to Mark Salt as well, the issue regarding the sluices is also interesting, I can see that that would cause an obstruction to eel populations. Incidentally, I went to school with someone called Mark Salt in Irlam, Manchester - you're not the same person are you?

Rusty - you're not an eel fan then? Even though they may help reduce the crayfish populations, and they would be mighty big as a result. It's only bootlaces that are horrible. Not that I wish them any harm, but they are horrible.

Mind you they're not as bad as a hagfish. :yucky:

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rusty - you're not an eel fan then? Even though they may help reduce the crayfish populations, and they would be mighty big as a result. It's only bootlaces that are horrible. Not that I wish them any harm, but they are horrible.

No 'fraid not. I've caught a few reasonable sized ones and could never hold on to them and could never get the hook out. I've never eaten jellied eels simply because can't stand the thought of them when they're alive.

Just a dislike of the creatures.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Want a copy?

Rich

Why, do you have access to said document?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Where are all these population measures taken from? There are eels in just about every water I know of, of all sizes and in more than a few places, they're a bloody pest. Balmaha on Lomond is just one place I can think of off the top of my head. If you pike fishing there or feeder fish towards Inchcailloch island with a feeder you can easily end up being pestered by bootlaces the whole time you're there.

My local river system has no shortage of them either. The Clyde is absolutely bouncing with the things, as is the canal. The eel problem has been talked about now for the best part of a decade now and I still haven't seen anything that even hints there might be a problem.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Yes probably!

Rich

I'll have a copy if you can get one! I assume it's going to be less than quoted above???

I'll swap it for some good info of free stretches around newbury!

Rich

For a free copy I'll take you round them!

• 13 years later...

Resurrecting this very old thread! I was told recently by a keeper on the middle Kennet that elvers are being introduced into the upper & middle Kennet. This looks like there's working being done to try and re-introduce them into the Kennet (and wider Thames) catchment. https://www.riverkennet.org/projects/thames-catchment-community-eels-project

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog