Eels in the Kennet

arbocop

Further to the long running thread regarding eel populations, does anyone know why there are no eels in the Kennet? I'm sure they are in the Loddon, they are definitely in the Thames, so why are there none in the Kennet? I was told this by a fishery keeper years ago and I must say although I treated his comments with a certain element of doubt, I've never caught one.

I've Googled it and there were lots of references to eel spears (no relation to Britney) and their historical use in the Kennet, there is nothing about recent catches.

Or are they there and I need get out more? Does anyone know?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but I have never had one from the Thames - in fact I've lived here for 4+ years now and have yet to catch an eel from anywhere in Oxfordshire!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Mike this was taken from the Theale stretch next to a couple of lakes ,Dont know the weight but it looks a lump to me

http://www.rdaa.co.uk/web/index.php?option...9&Itemid=38

Steve.

Edit

Used to catch decent Eels from the Thames on a regular basis but haven`t had one for years now .

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I've often wondered why the Kennet was so devoid of eels - I've got one - a bootlace sized specimen back in 1991 from Theale. My only eel in 40 years of fishing the river. In my youth I used to use worms a lot (still do now I come to think about it!) so its not as if I haven't been using a bait to their liking!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I don't know, but I have never had one from the Thames - in fact I've lived here for 4+ years now and have yet to catch an eel from anywhere in Oxfordshire!

Me neither, in Oxfordshire 20 years!

Rich

anyone feels the need your welcome to have a fish with us, no retrictions. Thats a baby one btw :)

geoffsconger.jpg

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Me neither, in Oxfordshire 20 years!

Rich

I don't think that there has been a run of elvers into the Kennet for many years, which

explains the lack of small to medium eels. The pits along the kennet still produce some big eels, obviously from historic elver runs. I suppose (no scientific evidence for the Kennet specifically) that this is due to the numerous barriers to passage along the canal and river. Modern weirs and sluices are virtually impassable for elvers, and are believed to a major contributor to the lack of eels in some river systems. As part of the Eel Management Plans, the EA will be building elver passes to surmount these barriers starting this year. I have a meeting with the EA and Angling Trust on 20th January to discuss the implementation of this and the stocking of elvers, amongst other things, and I will post an article summarising this on the forum shortly afterwards.

Mark Salt

National Anguilla Club