Fishing weekend on the Kennet

jaypeegolf

Dear All,

I'm attempting to organise an end of season fishing weekend for my fishing partner and I on the River Kennet in and around Newbury.

I've managed to arrange a day's fishing on a fishery 'above' Newbury but need another advice or suggestions for anothe venue for the 2nd day (Saturday?).

As we are intending to base ourselves for the two days close to Newbury I'm looking for a venue close by.

We would like to target chub and roach and any advice or help that the forum can offer will be gratefully received.

Thanks everyone

JP

Dear All,

I'm attempting to organise an end of season fishing weekend for my fishing partner and I on the River Kennet in and around Newbury.

I've managed to arrange a day's fishing on a fishery 'above' Newbury but need another advice or suggestions for anothe venue for the 2nd day (Saturday?).

As we are intending to base ourselves for the two days close to Newbury I'm looking for a venue close by.

We would like to target chub and roach and any advice or help that the forum can offer will be gratefully received.

Thanks everyone

JP

Day ticket on the bank fishing at Sulhampstead bit controled by CALPAC a bit lower down the A4 towards Reading scrol down to find the fishery http://www.calpac.info/page3/page14/page14.html ,the canal section does fish well when the river bit is in flood big |pike and Chub there Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Thanks for your suggestions fellas,

I'm probably more interested in the Sulhamstead stretch of the Kennet than Barton Court, but thanks for putting it forward.

I'm familiar with Barton Court but put off by the shear numbers of trout and lack of coarse fish, if my previous visits are anything to go by!!

Can anyone shed any light on the Ufton/Sulhamstead stretch of the Kennet and what I can expect there.

(I'm a habitual "centre-pinner" so hope there's some pace to the water so I can trot down for Chub and Roach?)

What can I expect?

Cheers

JP

Can anyone shed any light on the Ufton/Sulhamstead stretch of the Kennet and what I can expect there.

(I'm a habitual "centre-pinner" so hope there's some pace to the water so I can trot down for Chub and Roach?)

What can I expect?

Cheers

JP

Canalised stretch of river so slowish - not fished it for ages - decades in fact. Contains a good head of barbel. I used to pike fish it in the winter had the occasional roach and chub from there - but had many easier waters to fish so can't say I ever really got to know it well.

I know the brownies are a pain at Barton Court but if you can avoid them there's some big perch to go at and a lot of pike - some chub too.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Other than those places suggested I'm struggling to think of a day ticket stretch of the Kennet around Newbury. There is a free bit at Northcroft which will produce Chub, Perch, Pike and Dace (& Trout) but it’s more of a short session venue than a planned pleasant day out place (lots of dogs and the associated land mines). Good trotting stretch though.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Free bit at Arrowhead road Theale which does big Chub and Barbel but can be litter city due to the free status sadly ,Sulhampstead bit did some good Pike for me near the front of the weir section just before the canal ,Plenty of flow in that stretch so trotting should be no problem with good Chub from the canalsection when she is in flood so the bailiff who you rarely see told me but that was a few years ago now .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The stretch through newbury Town centre is known locally as 'The Free Stretch'. I must be a bit careful as I have a vague recollection that it might just be free for Newbury residents - others will doubtless come back if that is so.

It is canalised river, ie flowing canal. It contains good fish, the only snag is that you have to fish from the towpath which can be quite busy.

IMHO, speaking about the Kennet as a whole, roach are not a very good target at the moment. The chub are good, and so are the perch.

john clarke

The stretch through newbury Town centre is known locally as 'The Free Stretch'. I must be a bit careful as I have a vague recollection that it might just be free for Newbury residents - others will doubtless come back if that is so.

You are correct - strictly speaking all the free fishing (inc Northcroft/Lambourn et al)in Newbury is 'meant' to be for residents only....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

You are correct - strictly speaking all the free fishing (inc Northcroft/Lambourn et al)in Newbury is 'meant' to be for residents only....

C.

Really?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."