Fishermen Not Happy With The BBC

Elton

that man has one hell of a short memory of the practices which went on for years out of whitby.

paul.

So Paul if it went on for years it could not have had much effect on the stocks.

Why did it suddenly have an effect?

What do you think happened to the pipe fish?

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Paul if it went on for years it could not have had much effect on the stocks.

Why did it suddenly have an effect?

What do you think happened to the pipe fish?

Peter are you joking these boats were getting massive hauls at times compaired to what the local trawlers were getting 5 or 6 times more fish per haul many many 1000ss of boxes of cod that is history now the damage has been done you just have to look whats been caught this winter form scarborugh all the way down to the holderness coast its been a disaster for cod this winter from the shore serious to put it bluntly people are asking questions some anglers havent seen a cod this winter from the shore something needs adressing fast cod recovery its a joke while they still the slaughter of juvenile cod dureing the herring spawn period there aint any cod recovery its all getting worse rather than better people want to know why this practice it still allowed to go in the days of so called conservation.

I think the water temperature has played its part with pipefish its like the rays bream they have been washing up in there 100ss here over the last month or so i saw 3 on runswich beach last sunday 1 was still flapping alive they cant stand the cold water and just swim ashore alive to die crazy i havent seen this occurance since the 70ss in the numbers what have been comeing ashore but then again we havent had a winter like this one for many years they must come round the gulf stream off the north of scotland and come into the north sea .

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Although we did actually board plenty of boats in the south of our district who had seen little change in the amount of mackerel they had caught last summer.

Given that Flamborough down to the Humber is the southernmost part of the district, I know of nobody who caught the usual 'plenty' of mackerel in this area last season, which is widely acknowledged as the 'worst in living memory' for mackerel, I'd be interested to know who you spoke to, because commercials and anglers alike can't remember such a dearth of mackerel throughout a whole summer.

I do agree with you on one point though as I think it a bit disingenuous to state that commercial operations are to blame, when the real truth is that mackerel aggregated in 'super-shoals' last season and stayed much further west, possibly as a result in the shift of the gulf stream, which may be a significant reason for the cold winter we are experiencing. What is worrying is why the more regular smaller shoals were so low in number, this admittedly, could be due to fishing activity and the days when we did see the odd mackerel, they were more usually than not, undersized by North Sea MLS standards.

whats been caught this winter form scarborugh all the way down to the holderness coast its been a disaster for cod this winter from the shore serious to put it bluntly people are asking questions some anglers havent seen a cod this winter from the shore something needs adressing fast cod recovery its a joke while they still the slaughter of juvenile cod dureing the herring spawn period there aint any cod recovery its all getting worse

paul.

So Paul you still think that what happens in one little area off Whitby effects the Whole North Sea?

The shore fishing here about is about as poor as it gets at the moment same as it is generally all over, has been since early January and probably will be for another few weeks yet.

Nothing what so ever to do with over fishing.

A. the larger fish are off spawning and won't be back until next month.

B it's too cold and the shallow inshore waters have shut down with nothing alive moving, all critters have gone down their burrows shut the lid and set the alarm clock for spring clock, no food means no fish. A week of South west winds would not go a miss.

A week of South west winds would not go a miss.

Don't want any wind at all mid week thank you very much Wurzel, still hopeful for me first wrecking trip, so we chose a wednesday for a change. Done three or four inshore trips this winter and all of them have been pants. So as you say Wurzel waiting for them at the mo.

There is fish showing on the wrecks though, if anyone can get out.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
Given that Flamborough down to the Humber is the southernmost part of the district, I know of nobody who caught the usual 'plenty' of mackerel in this area last season, which is widely acknowledged as the 'worst in living memory' for mackerel, I'd be interested to know who you spoke to, because commercials and anglers alike can't remember such a dearth of mackerel throughout a whole summer.

I do agree with you on one point though as I think it a bit disingenuous to state that commercial operations are to blame, when the real truth is that mackerel aggregated in 'super-shoals' last season and stayed much further west, possibly as a result in the shift of the gulf stream, which may be a significant reason for the cold winter we are experiencing. What is worrying is why the more regular smaller shoals were so low in number, this admittedly, could be due to fishing activity and the days when we did see the odd mackerel, they were more usually than not, undersized by North Sea MLS standards.

Doc, I do apologise, I have just gone through my logs and the reports where from scarbourgh to the head end and these reported catches where before the end of July.

As you well know I cannot give out details that you ask for.

Regards.

Hello Doc, How you doing?

Don't claim to know much about mackerel, I pinched this off a commercial forum

The Mackerel that are caught in the North Sea from about level with the Forth south are almost all North Sea Stocks which over winter in the English channel and migrate east up the coast to Denmark then back west to the UK and back to the Channel.

There seemed to be some around the Thames estuary last summer so perhaps something stopped them moving further North.

possibly as a result in the shift of the gulf stream, which may be a significant reason for the cold winter we are experiencing.

It will be interesting to see if there is an increase in glass eels coming in to the rivers this year.

Just a thought.

Another thought !!

Has it (the gulf stream) shifted to where it's supposed to be or away from where it's supposed to be and where was it 45 years ago?

I've always believed that the mackeral we catch up here in the North East are Scottish overwintered fish that come down from the Shetlands along the East coast

Just to throw a spanner in the workd about non mackeral last year, as I never noticed any lack of them. Was thr first boat to fish for them with rod and line last year and could have filled up first trip and every time we went after that we always had plenty for bait for ourselves and the local potters had plenty off us too( for free before anyone asks)

Never noticed any shortage where we were but you sometimes had to search to find the shoal but once you had there was plenty of them there