Are the rivers back in form?

tiddlertamer

:D

I see your post was edited, Rusty. Now, be honest - did you get them the wrong way around?

I've been rumbled. It's been so long since I caught either Google was my friend.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kennet is slightly high, and running fast but not much colour. It's so cold though, the only fish having it are chub.

Anyone taken water temps recently? Bin a mildish week so would hope they're on the up - I shall certainly be out hunting stripeys at dawn tomorrow!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

That's not a bad idea, Chris. I'm a bit unsure what to do. With the milder weather and good river conditions there's a very good chance of chub (maybe another big one), but on the other hand maybe the perch will have switched on again. Nice and cloudy tomorrow...

But if the water is still very cold, perching could be very tough, and I will have wasted good chub conditions...

But if the perch do feed, there's a chance of a properly big one...

Oh dear! What to do?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That's not a bad idea, Chris. I'm a bit unsure what to do. With the milder weather and good river conditions there's a very good chance of chub (maybe another big one), but on the other hand maybe the perch will have switched on again. Nice and cloudy tomorrow...

But if the water is still very cold, perching could be very tough, and I will have wasted good chub conditions...

But if the perch do feed, there's a chance of a properly big one...

Oh dear! What to do?

Well I've only got a few hours as my yoiungest son is competing in the afternoon and we need to get him over to TVAC in Eton by 12noon - so I'll be bankside just as it gets light. Weather forecast is spot on hopefully the water conditions won't be far off too!

C.

The flowing canal was 4degC on Mon pm.

Mean temps have been above that all week since and today is the 'warmest' day of the year so far in Thatcham - 1st day in double figures (ºC) - so WT's should be on the up......

C.

Mean temps have been above that all week since and today is the 'warmest' day of the year so far in Thatcham - 1st day in double figures (ºC) - so WT's should be on the up......

C.

There's good news and bad...

It feels really mild today in London. I'm sure some weather buff would prove me wrong but I can't remember the weather being so mild since the very start of December.

The rain has stopped too so the rivers should have a bit of water and a bit of colour but be fining down by the weekend. Perfect conditions...

That was the good news.

The bad news is, according to the front cover of today’s Daily Express that another another cold spell is to descend on the country next week. 'Arctic Chaos' is predicted with temperatures plummeting and more snow on the way with the cold spell predicted to last for ten days.

Let’s hope this prediction is as good as the predictions about a bbq summer we had last year... :rolleyes:

Anyway, at the risk of encouraging too many people down to the riverbank and finding my favourite swim taken, it looks like this weekend will be a good time to get out!

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

The rivers here are in fine nick. An evening's chubbing session resulted in a lost fish to me (bugger!), a 5.14 for Chris and a 5.12 for me. Lovely!

Dawn start on the Thames tomorrow, hopefully Rich and I will find some perch...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The rivers here are in fine nick. An evening's chubbing session resulted in a lost fish to me (bugger!), a 5.14 for Chris and a 5.12 for me. Lovely!

Dawn start on the Thames tomorrow, hopefully Rich and I will find some perch...

A splendid bit of fishing gentlemen.

More quivertipping with cheesepaste or the noble art of trotting with gentiles? :)

Any pictures of those wonderful fish?

I'm off out myself on Sunday to a stretch of the upper Lea where the biggest chub I've had so far is only 12 ounces... :rolleyes: there must be a bigger one in there somewhere!

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)