Free Stretch River Fishing in Newbury

gazzaf

Moved to Newbury a couple of years ago and have decided to brush the dust off my 1970's Mitchell Match and do some fishing again after a 20 year break. I'm looking for some tips and advise about fishing the free stretches of the Kennet that run through Newbury's town centre. I've taken a good look at the Northcroft backwater and have indeed read some articles on this site about people's experiences fishing the weir pool etc. and it seems a like a decent stretch. I've given it a go, albeit for an odd hour here and there, but with no success :mellow: I've tried mainly legering with bread/worms hoping to pick up Chub. Preferably I like to float fish but conditions of late have not been favourable. Can anyone recommend any productive swims using this method - basically looking to pick up Chub and if really lucky a stray barbel. I see 'Rusty' and Mr Plumb have fished this stretch. BTW - Avid reader of Mr Plumb's blog - very envious of bags of C&B.. Cheers Gazza

If you look at my blog I doubt you’ll want me to recommend any particular swims.

To be honest I had two very good sessions there about this time last year but since then I’ve only fished it a couple of times, on neither occasion did I repeat my earlier success.

Always worth trotting a lobworm around a weirpool just in case any Perch are lurking. The rest of the stretch responds well to trotted red maggot and I’ve caught Chub on ledgered cheesepaste. It’s a short stretch and so well worth spending a day exploring the various swims particularly at this time of year when the vegetation isn’t too bad.

The canal is also free from where the river joins it into town but I haven’t fished it so not sure how far.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

BTW - Avid reader of Mr Plumb's blog - very envious of bags of C&B.. Cheers Gazza

Why thank you - :rolleyes: and you can thank Flying Tench as I was going to abandon my online diary a few years ago until he 'persuaded' me to keep it going. As for Northcroft I've not fished it since June 08 (see blog entry for 19 June 08) however the swims are fairly obvious - and there's not many. Work your way down from the weir trotting maggot, give each swim ½hr or so - longer if your catching and you should find the fish. When I were a lad living in Newbury - and fished it more regularly I did find it more of a summer water.

C.

ps C&B ???

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thanks Rusty.

Oh yes I've read your blog and I'm keen do to do some homework - keep up the good work :D You've obviously had some success there in the past. Some chap told me over the weekend about some swims opposite the pub just over the white footbridge - have you ever fished those??

Please keep up the excellent work with the blog. V informative.

C&B - Chub and Barbel - sorry.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go. As you say there are only really a couple of noteable swims. I like the look of the one where the brook meets the river. You any joy there?

I've also noticed that the free stretch runs up to and just past the library - have you any luck there?

Regards,

Gazza

Some chap told me over the weekend about some swims opposite the pub just over the white footbridge - have you ever fished those??

No I haven't, I've only fished as far as the gravel car park at the back of the footie pitches. Never been sure if it's allowed further than that.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Moved to Newbury a couple of years ago and have decided to brush the dust off my 1970's Mitchell Match and do some fishing again after a 20 year break. I'm looking for some tips and advise about fishing the free stretches of the Kennet that run through Newbury's town centre. I've taken a good look at the Northcroft backwater and have indeed read some articles on this site about people's experiences fishing the weir pool etc. and it seems a like a decent stretch. I've given it a go, albeit for an odd hour here and there, but with no success :mellow: I've tried mainly legering with bread/worms hoping to pick up Chub. Preferably I like to float fish but conditions of late have not been favourable. Can anyone recommend any productive swims using this method - basically looking to pick up Chub and if really lucky a stray barbel. I see 'Rusty' and Mr Plumb have fished this stretch. BTW - Avid reader of Mr Plumb's blog - very envious of bags of C&B.. Cheers Gazza

I had a bag of chub in October from there on lob tail. Included one of 5lb, several dace and two stray bream.

I agree with Mr Plumb, trot first and then if after searching the stretch (there are hot spots) try legering, but there are a lot os snags. Rumoured to be some good perch, but I didn't get them, and I tried the weir and all the submerged roots and trees along the stretch.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Hi Gazza

Let me add my halfpence. First of all, perhaps I should mention that most of us are wary of talking about specific swims on open forum because of the possibility of too many people descending on one swim.

Second, don't be too disheartened with this cold weather. I don't know how much fishing you did 20 years ago, but it's really hard in this weather. I'm by no means an expert, but I've been in Newbury 15 years now and I would say all the swims you have talked about are good at the right time. But in winter the fish shoal up and tend to be concentrated in certain areas, though they can move, so you have to do some experimenting.

I would just say about the swim opposite the pub that I know some people swear by it but it doesn't strike me as the easiest swim to fish, for someone recently back to fishing. Incidently, you quite often see people fishing from the 'concrete' at the bottom end of Newbury lock, and trotting down or ledgering. I haven't fished it for a few years, but it's a viable place to fish.

J

john clarke

Hi Gazza

Let me add my halfpence. First of all, perhaps I should mention that most of us are wary of talking about specific swims on open forum because of the possibility of too many people descending on one swim.

Second, don't be too disheartened with this cold weather. I don't know how much fishing you did 20 years ago, but it's really hard in this weather. I'm by no means an expert, but I've been in Newbury 15 years now and I would say all the swims you have talked about are good at the right time. But in winter the fish shoal up and tend to be concentrated in certain areas, though they can move, so you have to do some experimenting.

I would just say about the swim opposite the pub that I know some people swear by it but it doesn't strike me as the easiest swim to fish, for someone recently back to fishing. Incidently, you quite often see people fishing from the 'concrete' at the bottom end of Newbury lock, and trotting down or ledgering. I haven't fished it for a few years, but it's a viable place to fish.

J

Just seen that the Kennet at the above mentioned spot has got entry in the Anglers Mail 26th Jan so it will be form an orderly queue.

Regards

Rob

Just seen that the Kennet at the above mentioned spot has got entry in the Anglers Mail 26th Jan so it will be form an orderly queue.

Regards

Rob

It got press around this time last year - as a good grayling water!!! :o Not been grayling in there since the early 80's!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog