Setting the drag?

Colin Payne

quote:

Originally posted by Vagabond:

[QBThe real problem (no pun intended) was a lot of bad advice given when the fixed spool was first marketed here. One manufacturer said "All that is required is to set the clutch, keep the rod up and keep winding" which is just about the worst piece of fishing advice I have ever heard.[/QB]

Absolutely. When the fish is taking line via the drag, you should just be holding what you have rather than making any effort to take line.

Crank just a bit to make sure things stay tight.

The fish will either turn toward you or take a break from pulling and THEN you reel line in.

Cranking while the drag is giving line with a fixed spool reel is guarenteed to twist your line beyond belief.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you reel through the clutch (drag) you will be twisting the line badly. Never reel when the fish is taking line or for that matter against a snag. Twist twist twist.

Phone

The "against" a solid object method is considered a very tight drag.

Does anyone adjust the drag DURING the engagement?

phonebush:

Does anyone adjust the drag DURING the engagement?

Yes - that's one reason why I prefer rear-drag reels. The drags may not be quite so good but the flexibility of being able to adjust them easily more than overcomes that. As for setting the clutch, I tend to set mine so that I can just pull line from the spool by hand. It then gets adjusted whilst playing the fish until I have an optimum setting at which point I try not to adjust it again for a long as possible.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

If at any time whilst playing a big fish the drag is inadequate, I go immediately to back wind.

I set my drags to cope with the fish I am expecting to catch on that trip.

My clutch,s main function is for the first few seconds/minutes of the fight while I get some "control" of the fish.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "