Notebook / Laptop Advice

Elton

Sod it - I've ordered one. It'll go back if it's no good :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linux needs less resources to run well which is a plus.

The operating system will be totally unfamiliar to you which will take a little learning.

As long as there is Linux compatible software to do everything you want to do on the notebook, you should be fine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm just looking at the OpenOffice website, which has various Linux downloads.

To be honest, that is all I want. The whole idea of it for me is that I can't do anything else - I just want to concentrate on writing articles and reviews :)

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Guest Brumagem Phil
I'm just looking at the OpenOffice website, which has various Linux downloads.

To be honest, that is all I want. The whole idea of it for me is that I can't do anything else - I just want to concentrate on writing articles and reviews :)

This whole area is a minefield. I fancy getting something i can easily toss in the car mainly so I can keep up with the net while i'm out. Not sure if these notebook things come with inbuilt internet connectivity though.

The thing I do like though is they will slide neatly into the map pocket behind the drives seat of most cars or sit in the glovebox which means they are easier to stash away than a laptop.

Not sure about their battery life though..looks like i'm off on the research road too! lol

Researching them is a minefield, as retailers these days seem to be lazy and there are too many of them. When you search, you just find page after page of price comparison sites.

It seems the same with most stuff these days. We're considering buying our eldest a Nintendo DS Lite for her birthday, so I picked up the Argos catalogue to see what games might be suitable for her. All you get are the titles of the game, a cover shot and the price. It's assumed that you know all about them already and that your buying decision was made before you picked up the book. The website seems the same.

I thought the internet would help us all become a bit more informed, but my recent experiences (including buying a tyre) indicates to me that the UK has a long way to go yet.

So what did you end up getting ? :unsure:

I have to say my eePC goes most places with me when I go on holiday. I just use it for websurfing 99% of the time - so free wifi areas or hotels etc. I find it a bit small to actually type long documents on but it's perfect for what I want.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

Rob,

This is the one I ordered.

If it comes today, I'm going carp fishing this week. If not, I've got to hold on for a couple of weeks :(