Hardy Conquest? King Pin?

Phil Adams

Hi all, My stunning gorgeous other half has offered to buy me some new gear for my 30th birthday, originaly I was thinking of a pair of Harrison carp rods but now I'm thinking of a nice new centrepin.

Ive got upto around £300 for the pin, and the only stipulation is that it is new (warrantee etc)

I really like the look of the Hardy Conquest but am slightly put off by a review saying that the ratchet is made of plastic??? The King Pin Classic also appeals.

I want to be able to use the pin for trotting and also for close range carping/tenching.

Does anyone have any ideas or oppinions?

Many Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bbamboo
Hi all, My stunning gorgeous other half has offered to buy me some new gear for my 30th birthday, originaly I was thinking of a pair of Harrison carp rods but now I'm thinking of a nice new centrepin.

Ive got upto around £300 for the pin, and the only stipulation is that it is new (warrantee etc)

I really like the look of the Hardy Conquest but am slightly put off by a review saying that the ratchet is made of plastic??? The King Pin Classic also appeals.

I want to be able to use the pin for trotting and also for close range carping/tenching.

es anyone have any ideas or oppinions?

Many Thanks

Hi Phil

I have tried the Conquest

I dont think its any better than say the Okuma So I would save some money and buy a top end Okuma

If this is your first pin its really the way to go.

You will be amazed at the quality of these reels for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Okuma-Martin-Bowler-...=item35a64d2f3c

Garry Mills makes some exceptionally good 'pins and on top of that he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever have the pleasure of meeting!

http://www.milltackle.co.uk/

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I can't help I'm afraid, but at this point I would like to predict that this topic will go for 5+ pages :D

As you were, gentlemen.

A key question, I suppose, is are you prepared to wait for a hand-built one?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Does anyone have any ideas or oppinions?

Many Thanks

The Hardys conquest reel has its critics on this board. These critics are often very experienced anglers who have tried many reels.

I'm a relative novice and own just one pin - the Hardys Conquest.

I'm using it more and more, having taken a bit of time to get used to casting and fishing with the pin.

And I find it absolutely delightful when trotting.

The ratchet is not something that has bothered me.

I personally think the reel looks great too but its performance is what really attracts me to it.

Others may disagree but I've found the reel to be worth every penny.

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Being a bit of a pin tart I own and have used several several types ranging from the cheap to the expensive but for what you are looking to use one for i.e. trotting and margin fishing for Carp/Tench I would look no further than a reel such as the Okuma Sheffield with a spare spool which lies comfortably within your budget. You would then have what is an excellent reel suitable for both types of fishing. You would even have a bit left over for a Harrison rod. Also, and particularly for Carp/Tench fishing, the solid drum on the Okuma would in my opinion be better than a pillared/spoked variety as it would stand up better to the stresses imparted by the line around the drum when playing big fish. In terms of usability, my Okumas work just as good and in some cases better than reels which cost a lot more.

Hi Phil

Do'nt know if you'r interested or not.

Theres a guy on ebay selling brand new never been used Fred Crouch match ariels. He has 2 wide drum and 2 narrow drum. Now the good bit they are on a buy now price of £125 plus £5 delivery. The add all looks very genuine.

Do'nt know how to post a link but if you search Fred Crouch Aeriel on ebay its the only one that comes up.

I guess you better be quick once the other guys see this post.

Hi Phil

Do'nt know if you'r interested or not.

Theres a guy on ebay selling brand new never been used Fred Crouch match ariels. He has 2 wide drum and 2 narrow drum. Now the good bit they are on a buy now price of £125 plus £5 delivery. The add all looks very genuine.

Do'nt know how to post a link but if you search Fred Crouch Aeriel on ebay its the only one that comes up.

I guess you better be quick once the other guys see this post.

That's the current selling price of FC replicas Barry, there are other ways to buy them but both wide & narrow drums are £125 plus p&p. Any more than that and somebody's trying it on.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Still they sound pretty good at that price.

They are indeed, if you want a 'traditional' type reel but don't want to run the risk of buying used they are always worth a look.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back