Hardy Conquest? King Pin?

Phil Adams

....is this something to do with having more line pins on the spool?

No I think it's because he's mounting the handles as far away from the drum rim as he can so they don't bash your thumb when you're slowing up the drum. Most of Lythe's reels are similar but he machines a cut out on the drum inner flange and mounts the handles on a line bearer; it all looks a lot tidier, as if it's been well thought through. The Barbus handles look a bit like an afterthought.

I've succumbed to temptation and joined the Lythe queue.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the number of line pins and the size of the holes (16 instead of the standard 12) in the front plate which does not leave room for the handles. Whilst with the additional line pins you may get a bit better line lay on the drum, it means that you have to sacrifice something which in this case is appearance unless you made the holes on the front plate a lot smaller to give you room for the handles which I think would look even worse. Must admit that I am not too keen on the handle.

Just looks a mess to me, even the screw heads look mashed and the small centre screw looks crap with the slit not being central . If your paying good money out then you should receive decent/good quality finnished off items, not things what look like they've just been thrown together as quick as poss. That picture would put me off buying one of Mr Mill's pins I'm afraid.

I wonder if it's a prototype? The handles are removable and I believe can be fitted in any of the inner holes. Perhaps constant removal/replacement has caused the screwhead damage? Garry Mills has a rather ingenoius device for cutting his screw slots so the apparent off centre slot may be an illusion.

I'm not trying to make excuses for him but I have seen his work close up and I have also seen his workshop and techniques. This is definitely not typical of his usual standards for a reel that would go out to a customer (unless of course the customer wanted thicker handles, they don't normally overlap the spool edge or ventilation holes)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

i beleave the one pictured is the prototype / test model ,so the production models may variy a little ,i like it ,couldn't afford one ,and probably not buy one ,as i've set me mind on a vintage aerial as my last reel

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Is there no love for the AnglersNet 'pin here?

I know a few of you have purchased one, as have I under recommendation from many fellow posters, but nobody has put this forward as an alternative.

A chance to buy a 'limited edition', unique, as in not mass produced, item. I love mine and it performs very well in comparison with my Youngs Purist.

It gets my vote and I'll put it forward as a suggestion for Phil!

Good luck Phil, I'm sure whatever you chose you'll be pleased and won't look back.

Happy Birthday...when it comes around

JP :)

Guest bbamboo

Come on guys all the reels here are very good to be honest there all good reels.

But if I or you had to pick just one what would it be ?

Ok my newly purchased Near mint condition Match Aerial

In fact its to good to use and should be in a case.

So I am looking for another vintage aerial in a lesser condition for a user.........

Gary

Come on guys all the reels here are very good to be honest there all good reels.

But if I or you had to pick just one what would it be ?

Ok my newly purchased Near mint condition Match Aerial

In fact its to good to use and should be in a case.

So I am looking for another vintage aerial in a lesser condition for a user.........

Gary

Where did I hear those words before???? ah yes its coming back to me now.....10 - 11 years ago after buying my 1st aerial, just another as a user..............9 pins later and Im not as bad as some......;)

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/