Angling Trust call for otter management

Worms

Mike Heylin is urging the EA and Govt. to change the law on otters it would seem!

here

“It’s simple, countryside managers need to apply for permission to control the problems on their land. Fishery bosses must apply for a licence to trap and remove otters where they are causing a problem. I urge them to do so as soon as possible."

Remove them to where exactly? Somebody elses area? Somewhere where there are no otters? Wouldn't that be re-introduction?

Woolly-headed got mentioned in the article somewhere :blink:

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, are eastern Europeans still getting lots of coverage in the angling press?

EDIT: posted at the same time as Yorkio, interestingly!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

At the risk of sounding cynical I think it's already here and it's not wildlife!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

It does seem like the slow transference from 'guardians of the waterways' to 'guardians of large and valuable carp and barbel' is pretty much now complete.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It does seem like the slow transference from 'guardians of the waterways' to 'guardians of large and valuable carp and barbel' is pretty much now complete.

I have just realised what this is all about! The fish are taking over, think about it, all of the fish predators are going to be culled (except fish), anglers are going to be banned (probably completely soon) and all of the time we thought it was the AT and the AT.

Think again, Lloyd, Arthur, Heylin, SmegWhitehead et al have been brainwashed by giant common carp! How do I know? It's all Here . The AT have finally revealed that carp are more intelligent than carp anglers.......what are we to do?

The alien invasion talked about in the 50's has already happened and we didn't notice. The carp quietly crept into our lives without us noticing and now, they are set to take over the world.........be very afraid!

:blink:

Mike Heylin is urging the EA and Govt. to change the law on otters it would seem!

here

Remove them to where exactly? Somebody elses area? Somewhere where there are no otters? Wouldn't that be re-introduction?

Woolly-headed got mentioned in the article somewhere :blink:

This is one of the problems I have with the Trust, like other 'political' organisations, they issue statements that are long in words but short in actual meaning. I suppose it's 'edging your bets' to cover any change in perceived policy. Like, 'we already came out against culling otters, so we'll say "remove" or "manage" instead. It seems as if they know that the angling community is too diverse to fit under one roof, so they'll try and keep the 'believers' on side, while they try not to upset the 'doubters' too much.

Standard politics I suppose, but with the present feeling of the general public towards politics, not a good idea. I would prefer a stronger, more open and honest dialogue from them. At least then we would all know exactly where we stand.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have just realised what this is all about! The fish are taking over, think about it, all of the fish predators are going to be culled (except fish), anglers are going to be banned (probably completely soon) and all of the time we thought it was the AT and the AT.

Think again, Lloyd, Arthur, Heylin, SmegWhitehead et al have been brainwashed by giant common carp! How do I know? It's all Here . The AT have finally revealed that carp are more intelligent than carp anglers.......what are we to do?

The alien invasion talked about in the 50's has already happened and we didn't notice. The carp quietly crept into our lives without us noticing and now, they are set to take over the world.........be very afraid!

:blink:

When I read that Nick, I wondered if it was a comparison between the 'intelligence' of the fish and the angler.

Now some anglers have admitted that they think fish are 'intelligent', I wonder how it will affect the the 'fish have feelings' argument?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John