Link Ledger

Rusty

The weather looks horrible in my area tomorrow, I'm still planning to be out but may have to abandon mobile trotting and take refuge somewhere.

If I use a link ledger should the link be shorter or longer than the hooklength? I've googled and searched the forum but getting to this basic info will need a bit of a trawl it seems.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The weather looks horrible in my area tomorrow, I'm still planning to be out but may have to abandon mobile trotting and take refuge somewhere.

If I use a link ledger should the link be shorter or longer than the hooklength? I've googled and searched the forum but getting to this basic info will need a bit of a trawl it seems.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Shorter Rusty(say 6 to 10 inches of line tied 15 to 20 inches above your hook). You can tie a link by using a water knot or use a swivel and tie your link to the top eye of the swivel. You can play about with the length of link. Why not try laying on. it's a brilliant way of ledgering and you watch your float instead of the rod tip, and it's ultra senstitive.

I forgot to say, on your ledger link you can use some shot pinched on the line, a bomb or even a feeder.

Edited by Tigger

Brilliant, thank you Tigger & Lutra.

I've no time to buy float stops but tying the link to the top swivel eye seems a very quick way of changing from trotting to ledgering. If I leave the float rubbers on the line I can change back too :)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Brilliant, thank you Tigger & Lutra.

I've no time to buy float stops but tying the link to the top swivel eye seems a very quick way of changing from trotting to ledgering. If I leave the float rubbers on the line I can change back too :)

Rusty don't forget you can just as easy change your trotting set up to laying on. Just remove all your shot barr one BB 6 inches above your hook, wrap a small peice of line round your mainline above the BB and pinch on a swan shot or two (enough to hold bottom) so it will slide up your line, and slide your float up your line until it lays flat (not cocking), maybe double the depth of your swim depending on the flow. Your fishing with a bow of line from your float to your weight stopping the flow to move your bait. You need to keep your rod tip pointing towards your float and try to keep your line off the water. It's a nice way to chill out as you can put your rod in a rest and sit down and just wait till the float fires off !

Edited by Tigger

I usually use this simple rig if I am fishing for Chub or Barbel on streams and fairly small rivers using Bread, Paste or Meat or with a hair rigged pellets or Boilees coated in a soft paste for Barbel.

I never get any problems with the weights sliding down to the hook and there are few weaknesses as there is only one knot.

I have also caught a few large Roach and Dace on it although I prefer trotting for them.

LinkLeger.gif

LinkLeger.jpg

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Those float stops as shown above can also be used to grip a link line to the main line to form an adjustable link ledger safety rig with absolutely no knots other than the one holding the hook on. Just ensure the link emerges from the top of the float stop and the link will always stay away from the main line. You can tie an overhand knot at the base of the link so it doesn't pull out of the stop unless a bit of pressure is applied

I was chubbing earlier and remebered this topic, so took a picture of the link leger I use for nearly all my chub and perch fishing:

DSCF1499.jpg

I like to have a weak point in the rig (lighter BS hooklength) because it can be very snaggy where I fish and all I want to lose to a snag is the hook. The link running on a run ring makes it nice and free running and sensitive. The two beads help to prevent any tangles.

The link is about 6" long and the hooklength about 18".

Forgot to say, the link is made of 15lb mono.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I always thought the point of of a link ledger rig was so you could have your rig critically balanced (just enough weight to hold station) in the flow and be a fixed or semi fixed rig so the first touch from a fish would set the weight/rig moving and register on the rod tip as a drop back.

I was chubbing earlier and remebered this topic, so took a picture of the link leger I use for nearly all my chub and perch fishing:

DSCF1499.jpg

I like to have a weak point in the rig (lighter BS hooklength) because it can be very snaggy where I fish and all I want to lose to a snag is the hook. The link running on a run ring makes it nice and free running and sensitive. The two beads help to prevent any tangles.

The link is about 6" long and the hooklength about 18".

Forgot to say, the link is made of 15lb mono.

Isn't that a running rig Andreroo ?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep